[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox - "Danube Edition"

Regarding your proposal, I share the entusiasm of Nick and the skepsis
of Jonas about selling something that is not ready for the general
public.  But this reply is about the technical parts of your proposal,
to see if we can get the normal FreedomBox build to do what you
need. :)

[Markus Sabadello]
> 2. I would like to help add a few things to the box. Most importantly,
> support for the Unhosted project, we already dreamed about this 2 years
> ago
> <http://blog.projectdanube.org/2012/06/freedombox-unhosted-pagekite-for-access-innovation-prize-2012/>,
> and it works really well. Another idea would be something that comes out
> of the current W3C Social Web work, as well as the IndieWeb community.

What is needed in Debian to make this work?  As we build from unstable
these days, any missing packages are just a trip through the NEW
"queue" away from being available on the Freedombox.

> 3. I already managed to build a working FreedomBox image for
> CubieTruck, using freedom-maker and a mainline kernel and some
> similar steps as with the recently added Beaglebone support. I'll
> try to submit a pull request soon. This does require a modified
> version of vmdebootstrap, since on CubieTruck the bootloader must go
> into a special space between the partition table and the first
> partition. I think I found some information out there by Neil
> Williams who is aware of this? Basically I think vmdebootstrap
> should have a new parameter that can leave this extra space empty,
> and then freedom-maker can specify that parameter and install the
> bootloader afterwards. For now I summarized what I did to make it
> work here
> <https://github.com/peacekeeper/freedom-maker/wiki/OS-Start>.

Is this the same problem affecting grub when --bootsize is used, the
one I provided a patch for in <URL: https://bugs.debian.org/767913 >?
If so, please send more information about the issue to the bug report,
to make the maintainer aware that this issue affect more than just
those using --grub and --bootsize together. :)

> 4. I worked on setting up a PageKite service under the domain
> freedombox.me, and I wrote a Perl script that integrates the
> PageKite server, a DNS server, and a Redis database, to dynamically
> register new DNS names and PageKite tunnels given a "voucher
> code". This is all similar to how pagekite.me works. So I imagine,
> if you get a FreedomBox, you also get one of these "voucher codes"
> and can choose a something.freedombox.me subdomain. Michael Pimmer
> ("fonfon") has been working on a Plinth extension that can do this
> registration during Plinth's first-boot phase. I described the whole
> setup here <https://github.com/peacekeeper/freedomkite>.

This sound very interesting to me, as I want to figure out how to set
up my own pagekite server. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen