[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox - "Danube Edition"

On 10/22/2014 12:32 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Markus Sabadello (2014-10-22 02:31:15)
>> On 10/22/2014 02:06 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>> Quoting Markus Sabadello (2014-10-22 01:29:15)
>>> You think some people who don't know the command line would want to
>>> buy hardware to learn about it but not rely on it?
>>>
>>> I think some people buy it but ignore the "but not rely on it" part -
>>> because after playing with it (i.e. clicked on the web interface -
>>> they don't know the command line) they conclude that if feels
>>> reliable enough despite the warnings.
>>>
>>> I think it is a bad idea to sell something that is not yet ready, to
>>> someone who don't understand what that means: We are all so very used
>>> to reading and ignoring disclaimers.
>> Thanks Jonas, I had the same thoughts and am also worried about the same
>> things.
>>
>> Following your argument, I believe people outside the command line /
>> hacker / developer communities could never use any security or privacy
>> related tools, because they will never be 100% ready.
> How do you measure "percentage of ready"?!?
>
> Debian "release when reasy" and have a track record of reaching that
> point multiple times.  But perhaps your "Danube Edition" has different
> concept of "reeady" than Debian?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way, you are right of course, and
probably I said it wrong.
Of course it's not "ready" by Debian standards, and not "ready" for use
by a general public.

But considering that there have already been releases, and people have
paid money for its development on Kickstarter, it is "ready" for trial
use by an educated audience, no?

This is all I meant,
1. just provide a simple service to send a few packaged boxes to an
interested audience
2. try to add a few new functions to the project, such as Unhosted, LDP, ..

Really such a bad idea..?