[Freedombox-discuss] Fossil SCM/VCS as CMS [Was: Re: CMS in freedombox]

ST <smntov at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>
> if no CMS was integrated yet - I suggest to use Fossil
> ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_(software) ) instead of Ikiwiki. I
> took a look on Ikiwiki and realized that Fossil covers almost all
> Ikiwiki features but offers much more. It is small (only one file), fast
> (written in C) and is tuned for security.
>
> What does the public think?
>
> http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/tip/www/index.wiki

The only thing I really don't like about Fossil for projects is that the
wiki and the bug reports aren't hosted as files within the repository,
making them impossible to check out without *using* Fossil.  I had a
not-very-good workaround for this in Publish [0], which just tracks all
separate artifacts as files (in particular root-level directories).
Then, it's easy to cross-publish between multiple hosting sites.  It's
also trivial to offer a read-only view of the entire repository (code +
data + metadata) and make the whole thing downloadable as an archive.
It could be a lot more flexible and easier to use (I'll update it to
host multiple projects some day), but that said, not everybody cares
about those sorts of things and Fossil's really nice.

Nick

0: https://gitorious.org/project-publish