[Freedombox-discuss] Hosting public services (was: Re: Bootstrapping a Freedombox contact list)

On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 23:57 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Tim Retout]
> > Future extensions:
> > ==================
> [...]
> > - How would services on public IPs be offered? (UPnP to punch
> > through the router, and then Freedombuddy tells others about them?)
>
> I suspect something like pagekite is the way forward here, at least as
> an option if uPnP or similar isn't an option.  At least with my ISP,
> port 80 is blocked on inbound traffic. :(

I agree Pagekite is nice because it sidesteps dynamic home IPs by
proxying back from a public server, and it gives you a name in the
"real" DNS system.  You can use CNAMEs to point your own domain name at
the pagekite.me names, or potentially run your own Pagekite server
instance.

This implies that hiding a given Freedombox's IP from Pagekite/the NSA
is not a requirement. :)

Part of me worries that this is a sort-of-centralized solution.  I think
this is okay from a security point of view - we just treat the server as
an untrusted part of the network link.  Have you tried running your own
pagekite server?

The other limitation is that only HTTP, HTTPS and SSH are handled by
Pagekite.  I would quite like to support mail protocols and XMPP too.

--
Tim Retout <diocles at debian.org>