[Freedombox-discuss] Should we use LXC in Freedombox?

> > I'm using LXC for 2.5 years and have written many articles about my
> > setup which you can find at:
> >
> > http://freedomboxblog.nl/articles-tagged-software-architecture
> >
> > I think these articles answer many of your questions. The list of
> > articles is in reverse order: start with the oldest article at the
> > bottom and work your way to the top if you want to fully understand my
> > setup. The articles describe a Squeeze setup - Wheezy needs a slightly
> > modified LXC template which you can download at:
> >
> > http://freedomboxblog.nl/wp-content/uploads/lxc-debian-wheezy.gz
>
> I compared your template with the one in Jessie, and these seem to be
> the relevant changes.  Did I get it right?

If you are using Jessie then you should update the download_debian()
function. This function instructs debootstrap to download a Wheezy
version of Debian. You probably want a Jessie version?

It is probably best not to change cache paths. If you rename:

/var/cache/lxc/debian-wheezy

into:

/var/cache/lxc/debian-freedombox

then information is lost. It is not clear what version of Debian is
stored there. If you want to update my template for Jessie, then you can
probably just replace all wheezy occurrences in the text by jessie.

>   Did you try to push these
> changes to the Debian package or upstream?

See:

> > At the moment I'm working on my own software to isolate programs
> > running on the FreedomBox. This software does not use LXC anymore
> > and will be *much* more lightweight. So keep in mind that although
> > my setup served me well over the past years it will be replaced in
> > the near future.
>
> What are you going to use instead?  Perhaps the official Freedombox
> from Debian should use this new mechanism instead?

I am writing a new program to replace LXC. This program is part of my
new software architecture for the FreedomBox and I hope that in the
future this architecture will be used in an official FreedomBox release.
Can not say much more about this because there are "bold and brave"
ideas behind this new architecture that must be tested first. If things
work I will write an article about it on my blog.

Rob.
http://freedomboxblog.nl