[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

[Freedombox-discuss] Is there a list of executables that are on the DP, part of what's shipped?



Guys (Girls if they are out there too!)  Since I created this abominable
thread I'm probably the best to advise my meaning.  My involvement in a
number of large software projects, and this is one, sort of, had pretty
specific items that were to be included in the final module.  Since I
noticed that there is a substantial amount of spaced used by the .gz files
under one of the man directories, I jumped to the conclusion that something
was there to use them.

Hence my question about what was the list of binaries (I used another term)
that will be shipped with the FB?  I erroneously assumed that somewhere a
list of software that we would assume to be on the end product.  If there
is not, how can we assume anything will be there?  We have lists of
libraries, are they really required or did they just dump a bunch of libs
on the thing to assume that would cover us?  And there is really no reason
that a front end could not do a man page in a GUI format, if they are not
out there now.  Maybe even something more comprehensive than what is
available now.

So Lee was correct, I was hoping to find a list of 'standard' programs,
which I would assume that man would be one of them since the biggest part
of the code (compressed man pages) seem to already be present.  Just need
to display it.  And what happens if the boot fails?  No CLI to try and fix
it, or is this a WIP (work in progress) for a 'GUI CLI'? ( is this an
oxymoron)?  I.E. a recover on failure mechanism?

Thanks all

Jack


On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:24 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> Hi Blibbet,
>
> Quoting Blibbet (2013-05-31 04:37:58)
> > > I see the FreedomBox project as a subset of Debian, concerned about
> > > developing a so-called "Debian Pure Blend".  That "development"
> > > involves design discussions, practical things like how Debian works
> > > (for those new to Debian).  But IMO it does not involve in-depth
> > > training of e.g. doing Debian packaging, nor learning how to use a
> > > Debian system, not exploring various other usecases for DreamPlug
> > > hardware other than our specific one.
> >
> > Is there any spec/plan that formalizes the UI?
>
> Not that I know of.  Best we have so far is the wiki pages.
>
> ...or obviously the very best is My Personal Dream (tm), but that
> probably goes for each of us and doesn't really scale nor evolve ;-)
>
>
> > Right now it seems to be mostly based on contributions by Jonas and
> > Nick. And the random wishlist of kitchen sink ideas in the wiki :-) In
> > addition to the annual DebConf video, I really wish the FBF would show
> > up here every few months, with a bit more steerage for this project.
> > :-)
>
> The way Debian works is by doing stuff, and then when stuff is done that
> is demonstrated to be sane, and there is a rough consensus that it is a
> way that can gain traction among the do'ers in the project, it is
> documented for others to follow.
>
> So what I am waiting for is not FBF or anyone else to come tell us what
> to do, but for more of us to do more, which can then evolve into a more
> coherent whole.
>
>
> > > It seemed to me that your question was pretty much tied to learning
> > > how to use commandline tools in Debian.  Which I find much better to
> > > do at a users' mailinglist.
> > >
> > > But perhaps I simply misunderstood your question somehow?
> >
> > I think the OP might have some basic Linux dev skills to learn, and to
> > separate from the FreedomBox list to Debian- or GNU-centric
> > lists/IRC/etc.
>
> Yeah, that was my impression too.  Thanks for better emphasizing that it
> is not binary: I only meant that _that_ question is better asked at a
> users' list, not "go away and come back when you have gained more
> experience".  I believe there are areas needing work here also for folks
> inexperienced with commandline tools.
>
> The main challenge, as I see it, is that of the scary freedom of doing
> whatever you want here.  Noone dictates what to do (other than perhaps
> me sometimes, but then I am wrong: my intend is to encourage and guide,
> not to dictate).
>
>
> > But that point aside, and given the Subject line's question, I think
> > the OP was asking for the manifest of official binaries included in
> > the FreedomBox.
> >
> > Perhaps the answer is, as you say, there is no command line. Pointing
> > Jack to the FreedomBox's UI is also useful, in addition to pointing to
> > generic manpage usage for dev tools that won't be in the user's
> > FreedomBox.
> >
> > At least that's how I'm misunderstanding this thread. :-)
>
> Ah, yes. Makes sense.  Thanks for putting this into perspective.
>
> (I have much to learn still in that area)
>
>
>  - Jonas
>
> --
>  * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
>  * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
>
>  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private
>
> _______________________________________________
> Freedombox-discuss mailing list
> Freedombox-discuss at lists.alioth.debian.org
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/freedombox-discuss
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/attachments/20130531/12985af6/attachment.html>


Reply to: