[Freedombox-discuss] Script needs access to my secret key phrase

Jack Wilborn <jkwilborn at gmail.com> writes:

> I have a problem with my building of the Dreamplug (DP) image.  When it
> runs, it creates a signature file so others can identify that it was
> build by me and it an autorized build.  When I run the script, it takes
> a little while, but I come back and it's waiting on me to enter the
> phrase.  I don't know how long it's sat there so I'd like to enable the
> phrase to last the entire time I'm logged in.  I sometimes see that
> option, but don't know how to request it without having something for it
> to create, like keys or sig files...

You have two options:

1. Enter your password once: Set gpg-agent to store your password for a
   good long time after the first time you enter it.

   See the "default-cache-ttl" and "max-cache-ttl" options [0].

2. Never enter a password: Create a passwordless key and set that as
   your default key [1].

Nick

0: http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Agent-Options.html#Agent-Options

1: http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2001-September/010163.html