[Freedombox-discuss] hardware

On Thu, 17 May 2012 12:42:20 +0100, Nick Hardiman <nick at internetmachines.co.uk> wrote:
> I am wondering what will become the third freedombox hardware
> architecture (after the dreambox and guruplug). These ones have
> issues.

Since you're including non existent hardware in you list, how about
this:

  http://rhombus-tech.net/

there is a first product in the pipeline (although I'm not sure if the
first prototypes have made an appearance yet).

The thing that makes this really rather interesting is that rhombus-tech
would seem to have persuaded at least one manufacturer to make tablets
for the Chinese market using this CPU card form factor internally.

Assuming that comes off, the CPU cards will be mass produced at very
reasonable prices, at which point a chassis tuned for freedombox could
be produced, and the cheap CPU card slotted into it -- when the next
generation of CPU card comes out, you can upgrade your freedombox, or
more likely, you can buy a laptop using the same standard, and later
upgrade the CPU, and hand the laptop's CPU down to the freedombox.

Having said all that, you cannot buy one yet, but the project mailing
list is very active, and there are clearly interesting contacts being
made.

Cheers, Phil.

[Full Disclosure -- the mailing list is running on one of my servers, so
I'm peripherally involved in this, but hosting the mailing list is
pretty much the limit of my involvement]