[Freedombox-discuss] School intimidates girl to give up Facebook password

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:23:28 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> Hi Luis--
>
> On 03/13/2012 01:03 PM, "Luis A. Mor?n Morales" wrote:
>
> > I think this article is germane to the discussion and it clearly
> > illustrates one of the many reasons that we need the FreedomBox:
>
> Yuck, what a terrible move by the school (and depressing to hear of the
> capitulation of the girl's parents, if the school is to be believed).
>
> But it's worth considering how a FreedomBox implementation could
> actually withstand a comparable attack, given the weak legal position of
> most schoolchildren (or the weak negotiating position of most
> job-seekers, referenced in your later link).

One thing we could do is have a fake password that is really the command
to nuke the box.  The user can recover all their info later from the
social backup or the cloud.

But really, this one comes down to teaching children to protect
themselves that they *never* have to say anything until a parent shows
up.  If they're not comfortable, they should say nothing more than "I
want my mommy".

When I was a child, I had a teacher surreptitiously record a
conversation with me.  She was gloriously inept at it, which is why she
was unable to fool a child.  Schools think they act for our kids' best
interests, but sometimes a parent's perspective needs to be included.