[Freedombox-discuss] Connecting People (Zot and a link dump)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing that passed me by is the release of elgg 1.8 ,with 1.8.1 arriving soon
>
> http://elgg.org/
>
> It's quite a facebook like solution
>
> Pros
> - Mature social features (5 years+)
> - Clean and familiar look and feel
> - Standards compliant
> - Wide community
> - Many apps and plugins
> - Advvanced social features added by lorea.cc community (ostatus,
> webid, psyc + more)
>
> Cons
> - Does not scale brilliantly to say 100k users ... but FBX should be
> generally 1 person
> - Not a huge dev team (a la drupal/wordpress)
> - Attracts spam
> - It's on framework means a learning curve
>
> One to watch ...

I did see Elgg (through Lorea, linked off the wiki's ExampleProjects
page) a few weeks ago, but wasn't too impressed, though I don't
remember why.  I'll try setting up Elgg/Lorea and Friendica on my box
this weekend and open it to the list once I get it set up (still need
to setup backups and SSL integration).  Setting it up as
by-invitation-only might defeat Elgg's spam problem.