[Freedombox-discuss] An offer to the Freedombox community

On 13 November 2011 16:25, Joshua Spodek <joshuaspodek at yahoo.com> wrote:
> As posted here: http://joshuaspodek.com/an-offer-freedombox-community
>
> My post on how Freedombox?s pursuit of perfection is undermining its
> goals --
> http://joshuaspodek.com/freedomboxs-pursuit-perfection-undermines-goals
> -- prompted some discussion. Hearing how people the Freedombox community
> wants to help end up supporting products we see as non-Free jolted my
> system. I believe constructive criticism helps, but my desire to
> contribute more led to the offer below.
>
> One person?s response got me thinking about how I, as someone who
> doesn't write much software, can help.
>
> ? ? ? ?Diaspora is a decent example. They released something buggy,
> ? ? ? ?with minimal functionality, reasonably early on? yes, they were
> ? ? ? ?criticized for it?s quality at the time, but it got people using
> ? ? ? ?it (those who could get an invite / understand they go go
> ? ? ? ?elsewhere, anyway) and today they?re by far the largest free
> ? ? ? ?socnet alternative.
>
> Diaspora has a long way to go to succeed, but it has a product out
> there. Why did it release something while Freedombox hasn't?
>
> Bdale Garbee wrote
>
> ? ? ? ?The services that work today *are* released, and are widely
> ? ? ? ?distributed in the Debian mirror network. Anyone who wants to
> ? ? ? ?stand up some or all of the services that have been discussed
> ? ? ? ?here need only find a cast-off machine, install Debian, and have
> ? ? ? ?at it using the notes various folks have contributed to on the
> ? ? ? ?wiki.
>
> I respectfully feel like he described the situation before Eben first
> presented the project and suggested we could complete the project
> quickly. It suggests the Debian community is better at packaging what
> others first create and informing each other of what pieces are out
> there. Important, but not what the project needs now.
>
> I believe projects work when one person or a small number of people
> dedicate themselves to doing it themselves. I also believe a sole
> developer out there, or maybe a small group, wants to create a working
> Freedombox and has the programming and packaging skills to do it, but
> also has other challenges they need other resources to overcome.

It's a valid point.  This reminds me of the 'cathedral vs the bazaar'
approach of, release early, release often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often

I guess one question is: do you want to risk releasing something
that's not fully secure, in an effort to get it out quickly?