[Freedombox-discuss] Boxware on a router?

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 08:46 +0800, Sandy Harris wrote:
> Slashdot points to an article on Open Source router firmware:
> http://www.infoworld.com/d/networking/teach-your-router-new-tricks-dd-wrt-174050
>
> It appears this works on multiple models from several manufacturers.
>
> I wonder to what extent Freedom Box goals can be met by an
> appropriate router. In general, the things lack storage so some goals
> become impossible, or there would need to be some rearrangement
> of loads so some Box components run on the router, others on a
> server it protects.

The only real problem with routers is ram. Most routers only have 32 MB.
Some routers have 128 MB and are quite affordable. I think 128 MB is the
minimum requirement for the FreedomBox.

One interesting GNU/Linux distribution that runs on routers is.......

Debian!

See: http://http://www.debwrt.net/

DebWrt is all about running Debian GNU/Linux on embedded devices, for
example wireless routers. DebWrt connects two very powerful
technologies: Debian and OpenWrt.

Rob van der Hoeven.
http://freedomboxblog.nl