[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox at Software Freedom Day

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the project. Thank you for the offer of help and kudos for
reading through the wiki and the foundation website before posting.

> The sources Yves points out are a great starting point, but I
> fail to see why we need a separate site for that?
> Why not just beef up the foundation site?
Unfortunately, you joined the mailing list mid conversation and you missed
the key points I made here (1,2). In a nutshell, we only want a single
website to simplify our message. Foundation in the website's name has given
the false impression/ led to questions on the mailing list that the
Foundation is responsible for the FBX development and that it's not a
community project with community sounding names such as freedombox.org or
fbx.org for short url's

> Two great text resources:
> *
> http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TalksAndPresentations/Availa
> bleMaterial
This thread led to the creation of this wiki post ;)

> -> PDF from page 15 and on
> * https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/goals/index.en.html
I think this is an excellent page too and that it should really be on the
projects homepage as it succinctly states what we are trying to do. There
are many hidden gems like this lying around.

Alas, as a Debian Blend with limited resources we are restricted to using
the technologies provided by the Debian project. I realise now that our
website will always look like http://debian.org than the bling filled
http://ubuntu.com which I suspect is Marc's expectation of a modern website
and mine too for that matter.

I do think the Debian Blend strategy is a good one, but I do think Debian
should allow the blends to have their own distinct brands rather than being
a pale imitation of Debian.org, just like clothing companies have different
shops/brands for different consumers. Sorry, I digressed in this paragraph.

Still, welcome aboard.

-- fiftyfour

(1)
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-September/0