[Freedombox-discuss] OpenID by small players [was Re: A Simple Server Setup Guide]

On 25 August 2011 15:44, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> On 08/24/2011 07:42 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> On 24 August 2011 22:29, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>
>>> Are you saying that there are specific OpenID
>>> consumers out there that do not *authorize* the use of their site with
>>> an OpenID other than the big players?
>>
>> Yep. ?I think Yahoo were the first, many (most?) others of the big
>> consumers have followed suit.
>
> Could you provide a links for this claim (preferably from Yahoo or the
> other big consumers themselves)? ?I'm happy to believe you myself, but
> it would be good for me to have these links handy to point people to if
> they ask. ?I can't find any reference to it in a bit of web searching.

Sorry this is just from memory of being around the OpenID community
for a long time.  You'd need to go through some of the archives, there
was a fuss kicked up when Yahoo started doing it, so I'm sure theres
some info on the net about.

Here's part of a discussion.

http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-general/2010-September/020253.html

I would spend time searching for this, but I'm unsure the relevance.
If anyone wants to spend time creating an OpenID server for FBX that's
fine, but you may want to do some research beforehand seeing how
homogeneous and interoperable it really is.  A good test would simply
be to pick a number of big providers and see how easy it is for you to
login.

It's not really a mistake to work on any particular technology, but
some will give bigger payoffs than others.  At this point it looks
like it's going to be a more a trial and error approach.  I guess it's
up to everyone to work on the pieces that interest them, and hopefully
run servers that can interop.