[Freedombox-discuss] Email on the FreedomBox Discussion

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> As an aside, I do not share the experience of Bjarni regarding ISP port
> blocking: In my experience most danish ISPs block port 25 by default
> only to minimize harm from clueless users (by the assumption they might
> be similarly clueless about virus/botnet infections of they machines).
> Simply asking nicely and explicitly is enough to get all ports opened
> (often free of charge).

I didn't mean to suggest this was an insurmountable hurdle and that
all or even most ISPs were hostile - just that the default situation
is that these things cannot be assumed to work out-of-the-box.

Adding "call your ISP and ask them to open up ports" to the FreedomBox
installation sequence is not exactly a plug-and-play experience. :-)
This would be a massive usability problem.  For some of the things
people want to do, it may be necessary though.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: http://pagekite.net/