[Freedombox-discuss] Email on the FreedomBox Discussion

On Aug 24, 2011, at 1:52 AM, John Walsh wrote:

> Hi Bjarni,
>
>>> First of all, I would be gratefully if somebody could explain how an
>>> smtp+imap email service does not align or promote many of
>> the desired
>>> attributes of a FBX?
>>
>> I personally would consider a good e-mail, and especially
>> *webmail* experience to be a very valuable addition to the
>> FreedomBox.  I would like to break my GMail habit, but the
>> availability and user interface make that hard.  A FreedomBox
>> which stored my e-mail, but allowed me webmail access from
>> outside when I am on the go would be very awesome.
>>
>> I spent 6 years writing and running a spam/virus filter
>> service for e-mail, and before that I ran an ISP's e-mail
>> infrastructure, so I have some insight into how this all fits
>> together, although it might be a little dated by now -
>> corrections are very welcome.
>>
>> Here are my takes on what makes SMTP e-mail a hard and/or a
>> poor fit for the FreedomBox, in order of severity:
>>
>>   1. The FreedomBox reference plug will have very limited storage
>> space: e-mail accumulates unless you make people download and
>> delete from server (which means no webmail).
> I have always assumed I would have to plug a USB drive into the FBX for
> storage. This is what you have to do for TonidoPlug.

Once you start storing important data on a FreedomBox, you have to back it up.
Regularly.

Email is important data. :-)

>> Zimbra might be worth considering for the FreedomBox, as it
>> would provide e-mail and calendaring and such, and it's being
>> actively improved.  Maybe someday it will get close to
>> matching GMail's usability. :-)
> Now I understand the constant reference to UI :0 Personally, I chose privacy
> before "Gmail Man" UI and I guess that's why I use my ISPs server and their
> Squirrelmail webmail server. Still, I see FBX is selling privacy about UI.

Without knowing anything about your ISP, I don't see them as being more "private" than Google.

If you want your email to be "private" (FSVO private), you need to run your own mail server.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:mclow.lists at gmail.com>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki