[Freedombox-discuss] A Simple Server Setup Guide

On 22 August 2011 10:52, Olivier Schwander
<olivier.schwander at chadok.info> wrote:
> Hello everybody, it's my first post here.
>
> Le 22 Aug 2011 02:53, Melvin Carvalho a ?crit:
>> Minor Note: Not sure how useful it is to host your own OpenID these
>> days.
>
> It's definitely useful, since your OpenID provider knows everything you
> do on the (OpenID-authentificated) web. An it can decide if you have the
> right to login or not.
>
>> Host your own ID seemed to be pretty much abandoned by the
>> OpenID community.
>
> The main explication is that there is no OpenID server really usable and
> easy to install on your own box. From the list on openid.net[0], most of
> the projects are dead (no remaining website at all), abandoned (no
> activity for years). I just found two promising projects: simpleid[1] and
> prairie[2] but I am not confident enough to use them in a daily basis.
>
> [0]: http://wiki.openid.net/w/page/12995226/Run%20your%20own%20identity%20server
> [1]: http://simpleid.sourceforge.net
> [2]: https://github.com/OleKEH/prairie-openid2-server
>
>> I dont think livejournal, who invented OpenID is
>> even accepted by most relying parties.
>
> What do you mean ? If livejournal provides a compliant OpenID, it should
> be accepted by other consumers. Do you mean there is a filter on
> livejournal identities ?

These days OpenID is oriented towards Google, Facebook, Yahoo,
Microsoft logins etc.  (aka NASCAR).  Basically the board of the
OpenID foundation, which is what you'd expect.

The smaller sites such as live journal are normally lucky to get a
look in.  Self hosted identities, are all but forgotten, in the
community.

You never know they might make a comeback in a big way, but dont hold
your breath.