[Freedombox-discuss] [Arm-netbook] Single-Core Cortex A9 1ghz, ECC DDR3 RAM available soon

 On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:21:43 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
 <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> in the first place), why has the MX53QSB not been chosen as the
>>> board
>>> for the freedombox foundation to honour its obligations to its
>>> kickstarter sponsors?
>>
>> Another thing worth considering is the cost. SheevaPlugs go for
>> about $99,
>> and they don't require anything else to be functional - just plug in
>> and go.
>> The Freescale boards you mention cost 50% more (without the
>> discount), and
>> still require a PSU and some kind of a box to put them into. That
>> gives a
>> total cost of about double what you'll pay for a SheevaPlug.
>
>  for the small supply of hardware to sponsors, that would work.  the
> freescale boards are based on low-volume pricing.

 I cannot really comment on that, I can only comment from the end-user
 point of view, and from that point of view, SheevaPlugs come out ahead
 in terms of cost and in terms of how well the mainline kernel supports
 the hardware.

>  so it depends what's more important to the freedombox foundation.
> put out a message that it's "ok that CPU Manufacturers are
> dishonourable and only provide information under NDA, and we, the
> FreedomBox Foundation fully and actively support and endorse this
> behaviour, as evidenced by our supply of units to our Sponsors".

 I wouldn't call the behaviour you describe as dishonourable, merely
 business limiting (or at least it should be, contrary to the example we
 are discussing here). I can understand the moreal-hazard aspect of your
 argument, though.

 Gordan