[Freedombox-discuss] CCC Meeting Notes

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 14:24 +0200, Henry Story wrote:
> Is there a good link to .onion urls ? Wikipedia does not mention
> those. I am wondering if .onion urls can be resolved using DNS or if
> they require a special protocol. If they require a special protocol,
> then one can't simply write
>
> http://1231231231.onion/ because the http URL spec requires DNS
> resolution there. One would need to a number
> of onion schemes otherwise.

The wikipedia article is here:
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/.onion>

Tor has its own lookup protocol for .onion names. The name in
<name>.onion is actually the hash of a Tor hidden service identifier
key. You can't resolve .onion addresses via DNS, because they don't have
IP addresses, because they're _hidden_ services. The server is just as
anonymous as the client is.

You can, however, write http://<hash>.onion/. There's an abundance of
HTTP hidden services, such as <http://bzq5tzlog5yznon2.onion/>. So I
guess the http URL spec is powerless to stop us. mwuahahahahah.