[Freedombox-discuss] CCC Meeting Notes

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
<lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:40:29 +0200
>> From: Isaac Wilder <isaac at freenetworkmovement.org>
>> To: freedombox-discuss at lists.alioth.debian.org,
>> ? ? ? discuss at freenetworkfoundation.org
>> Subject: [Freedombox-discuss] CCC Meeting Notes
>> As far as daemon selection goes, there was (general) agreement that we
>> should use Apache for HTTP (despite its weight), Prosody for XMPP, and
>> Yate for SIP.
>
> A notice for the VoIP services software selection:
>
> Yate is not widely diffused abd known, scalable as Asterisk and FreeSwitch.
>
> Asterisk has the wider diffusion but it's a very crappy code and have a
> mixture of commercial/free management of the project.
>
> FreeSwitch is 2nd in terms of diffusion but it's very well written,
> modular and there is a huge commitment from the community.
> Additionally FreeSwitch can be entirely configured trough 'web services'
> that means not having to 'deal' with configuration files generation
> (http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_xml_curl) .
>
> I support FreeSwitch as a choice for VoIP system, also for it's wide set
> of supported protocols and extensions:
> http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Modules

I want to second/reinforce Fabio's endoresement of FreeSwitch above. I
cannot pass judgement on Yate, having never used it. However, I can
also confirm FreeSwitch is well written, modular, and widely supported
(it is gaining ground in education communties, too).

Sam Rose
Hollymead Capital Partners, LLC
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com