[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> On 11-08-09 at 08:45pm, John Walsh wrote:
[snip]

> I recommended Buddycloud as an initial sample application for FreedomBox
> development, because it...
>
> ?* is not written in java
> ?* is not written in PHP
> ?* uses XMPP (not reinventing messaging on top of http)
> ?* is actively being packaged for Debian (by me).
>
> Those are just my reasons, not show-stoppers for others: Please do work
> on alternatives - would be awesome with friendly competition!

Sorry, but I just had to put in my two cents' worth here: I agree with
the last two reasons, but not the first two. Though there are some
programming languages I prefer to others, I believe that you can write
(bad) FORTRAN  in any programming language.
(http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1039535)

That said, I was once asked, "which one is better, C or Pascal?" I
replied, "Which one is better: a screwdriver or a hammer?" Tell me
what you want to build, and there's your answer. That's why the
language-agnostic buddycloud approach is appealing.

Purely out of curiosity, would you prefer Scala to Java? Same JVM, but
a more "modern" language.