[Freedombox-discuss] [gnu-prog-discuss] MediaGoblin, now an official GNU project :)

2011/8/9 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>

> 2011/8/9 Bjarni R?nar Einarsson <bre at pagekite.net>:
> > Although the implementation is completely different, PageKite
> > (http://pagekite.org/) is designed to solve exactly this problem - to
> let
> > people run publicly visible servers on machines that do not have
> unfiltered
> > and/or public IP addresses. It's free software (AGPLv3) with the backing
> of
> > my tiny startup company in Iceland. (After a chat with RMS we are
> > considering whether we should make it an official GNU project as well,
> but
> > haven't really come to a conclusion yet.)
>
>  ok.  question.  what's the architecture?  is it:
>
>  a) installation of something that allows traffic that's sent to
> pagekite servers to be redirected down to a localhost server?

Yes. These PageKite servers (I call them front-ends) being something you can
run yourself if you choose, on any public IP, using any domain names you
like.

>   b) installation of something that is entirely peer-to-peer,
> non-server-centric, where it performs UPnP firewall-busting and other
> techniques on a dynamic basis, and if that fails *only then* performs
> proxy-redirection, perhaps using pagekite servers but perhaps even
> utilising someone else's local server (obviously supporting HTTP 1.1

for the task and using VHosts)

Sorry, this is impossible without requiring software on the client.

> the first is dead easy... and unfortunately means that the "attacker"
> can simply issue a takedown notice against the pagekite servers, or in
> the U.S. can fuck everything up by taking away the pagekite.net domain
> name.

Sure, any centralized service can be attacked.  The front-ends don't have to
be centralized though, and nothing says everyone has to use the same domain
name - or even that people have to use just one.

I really have no illusions that PageKite will be embedded in the FreedomBox
in such a way that everyone relies on the front-end service provided by my
company and I'll become rich overnight.  I'm not that naive. :-)  It would
be way more awesome, and more appropriate, if the FreedomBoxes themselves
could be front-ends and people with public IPs would use it as a simple way
to help their less privileged friends run old-fashioned publicly visible
servers.

You run a front-end for me, I run one for you... and we can both own our
logs and keep our data at home, run our own Diaspora pods or MediaGoblins...
That's one of the goals of the FreedomBox.  Not all the goals (none of the
anonymity goals), but still quite useful.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: http://pagekite.net/