[Freedombox-discuss] [gnu-prog-discuss] MediaGoblin, now an official GNU project :)

2011/8/9 Bjarni R?nar Einarsson <bre at pagekite.net>:
> Although the implementation is completely different, PageKite
> (http://pagekite.org/) is designed to solve exactly this problem - to let
> people run publicly visible servers on machines that do not have unfiltered
> and/or public IP addresses. It's free software (AGPLv3) with the backing of
> my tiny startup company in Iceland. (After a chat with RMS we are
> considering whether we should make it an official GNU project as well, but
> haven't really come to a conclusion yet.)

 ok.  question.  what's the architecture?  is it:

 a) installation of something that allows traffic that's sent to
pagekite servers to be redirected down to a localhost server?

 b) installation of something that is entirely peer-to-peer,
non-server-centric, where it performs UPnP firewall-busting and other
techniques on a dynamic basis, and if that fails *only then* performs
proxy-redirection, perhaps using pagekite servers but perhaps even
utilising someone else's local server (obviously supporting HTTP 1.1
for the task and using VHosts)

 the first is dead easy... and unfortunately means that the "attacker"
can simply issue a takedown notice against the pagekite servers, or in
the U.S. can fuck everything up by taking away the pagekite.net domain
name.

 the second is much _much_ harder, yet is effectively what gnunet and
I2P and other darknets already do.

 so, if the architecture of pagekite is truly non-server-centric and
truly peer-to-peer then yes it definitely fits the requirements.

 l.