[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

> Why is the project
> evaluating software that's still in development when there are more *mature*
> social networking applications such as Friendika, Elgg, Jappix etc around?

because in Buddycloud we all trust, it seems :)
They would have a really Hadooped se

see - https://drumbeat.org/en-US/projects/the-new-social-web-project/
particularly - http://we-need-a-free-and-open-social-network.wikispaces.com/Distributed+Social+Network+Projects
then - https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Distributed_social_network

;)

as for your question
- Friendika doesn't use XMPP for federation and doesn't use it at all,
so it isn't "a cool kid",
instead it proposes http://project.friendika.com/node/125
- Elgg uses XMPP only for a chat as i remember, "not a big deal" if
you want XMPP
- Jappix is more like a plain XMPP client, isn't it?

that's all - not talking about the techniques and language of
servers.. therefore - requirements.

Now - some description and !advertising!:

the best of all and most promising is We in XCCC,
of-course ;)
Pretty mature in terms of infrastructure among XMPP networks
is - Apache's Wave - Wave in a Box project :)
but, last time we'v checked - it lagged on medium Amazon with, well,
very small amount
of concurrent connections, so - seems like not a big deal for now.
Not to describe a horrors of a massive open-source codebase in Java.
For - FBX implementation of-course, nothing personal.
You know the Apache structure greatness and goals, i think.

Other variants like we are planning to introduce on 15th August chat -
should be far better in terms of adoption and most important - performance,
particularly for FreedomBox powers.

XMPP is still questionable on places so it would be a particular theme.

Personally - I like Buddycloud, at least for their strict, satiric and
raw blog posts,
i like their style of web client and hope they'll license it all under
a copyleft license so
the mock-ups could be re-usable easily.

Also, I like(from out-side) their developers company,
i think they are best out there as a team that
could really seriously kick the big and old FB(not X) and G+ to,
really, compete.
Maybe, even, compete with eastern VK as "an average" user's  platform.
In one or another fork.

We, as a small but dedicated group, on http://pyofwave.info are working
and will work, particularly, for a federation with Buddycloud as they
seems like the best among what i call "old-style" communications.
They are fully XMPP'ed social network as PyOfWave are;

 But most important - we as XCCC member - working for federation between
the next - concurrent editing and working networks -- it is the
difficult and important work, i think.
 feel free to
join us at any time on pad(link in wiki here and in messages), pad's
chat, mailing,
we are completely FLOSS, particularly - Open on any lines for help,
discussion, clever chairing, whatever.

I think - we could be, at least, competitive
to Buddycloud for a certain FreedomBox's needs,
 we use the "next-gen"(as i call it) and most important
- time-respective concurrent communication ideas, we work for Open
Augmented Reality there as well as other mapping needs,
we are aimed to be very fast, scalable for decentralization,
federation and other freedom networking conceptions.

Well, we are planning to discuss the XMPP and other networking ideas
on 15th August FreedomBox IRC chat =)