[Freedombox-discuss] Distributed Naming BOF Questions

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 11:22 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 08/05/2011 05:17 AM, mirsal wrote:
> > Feel free to ask me more about how this approach to naming works in
> > practice, or about other subjects relative to darknets (governance,
> > routing, etc.)
>
> Since we're talking about resistance to malicious adversaries,
> centralized pressure, etc, i'm curious about the governance models of
> the various implementations.
>
> So some basic questions about these systems (feel free to just reply
> with URLs if there are relevant docs):

I unfortunately don't know enough about the governance model of dn42
and VAnet. How anonet works is however very clear to me, so my answers
are only about anonet.

>  0) if there is a conflict over a name or address (that is, two parties
> claim the same name or same address as each other), what resolution
> mechanisms are available?

On anonet, participants manually pull from others so when a conflict
pops up, they *have* to choose one of the options for their system.

Nothing prevents two users from having a different view of the network
as long as they have chosen their 'side'.

>  1) have these resolution mechanisms ever been used?  If so, how did it
> work out?

Conflicts happen from time to time on the anonet registry and they are
usually resolved through discussion.

It is most of the time the result of a mistake or of two people
registering a domain or address range at the same time.
As it is rarely in the interest of anyone to fork the database, it works
rather well.

A few time, people tried to take over domains or ranges just to see how
the network would react and in the end, we always managed to keep a
consistent view of the registry, except for the 'culprit'.

(Sorry for the late answer,
I have only intermitent access to internet connectivity at the moment)

--
mirsal