[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox Webserver

On 2 August 2011 18:51, Ted Smith <tedks at riseup.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 18:40 +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> I think it's well established by now that freedombox will run a web server.
>>
>> I'm keen to start getting things up and running, even if it's only
>> something as small as a web presence running under debian, maybe with
>> an FB badge.
>>
>> Do we have a preference, apache or nginx or user choice? ?Bear in mind
>> every option you allow will require support and increase time to
>> market.
>>
>> Tempting just to say apache2 and be done with it?
>
> I haven't seen any expression of preference on this list, but since the
> FreedomBox is just Debian, if you're able to package a configuration
> that works to build some aspect of the FreedomBox, it's not terribly
> relevant. There will certainly be some default server, but that'll be
> decided at some point in the future, and some users will want to install
> other things anyway.
>
> It's far more important to actually get things done than to debate about
> which program to configure.
>
> You might want to try to follow the workflow Ian posted a bit back:
> <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-July/002216.html>
>
> or, in a nutshell:
>
> ? ? ?* Configure the software you want to freedomboxitize
> ? ? ?* Document how you did that on the wiki so that others can do it
> ? ? ? ?immediately
> ? ? ?* Create a deployable recipe of that configuration in Puppet,
> ? ? ? ?Chef, or whatever other config management tool you prefer
> ? ? ? ?(presumably, when FreedomBox standardizes on one, all existing
> ? ? ? ?recipes will be ported over).
>
> Good luck, and let us know how things go!

I see your point and I think this is a very valid approach.  While
securing the individual node is a question of getting the distribution
right, for the Webserver there's an element of chicken and egg,
because the web becomes more useful when you have a few people working
together.

I am keen to see progress, but without a network of people working
with similar tools, of which a web server is one key, we're left to do
things in relative isolation.  Indeed it's very hard to get the
network component going on your own.

I thought it might be a bit more fun, and give a bit more momentum if
a few people could at least build some default tools to get the P2P
side going, hence choosing a web server.