[Freedombox-discuss] http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/18/0153204/Security-Consultants-Wa rn-About-PROTECT-IP-Act

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Bdale Garbee <bdale at gag.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:19:13 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> including as i've repeatedly
>> mentioned on-list (and have received no response regarding the avenues
>> which can be explored and the pre-existing software and collaborations
>> already underway) a non-centralised non-attackable truly peer-to-peer
>> replacement for the existing DNS infrastructure.
>
> Offering us a list of the required Debian packages and a recipe for their
> configuration to deliver the functionality you're describing would be a
> great next step.

 it would!  where does the money come from to ensure that i can do
this, given that my income levels have been approximately 40% below
that required to pay for food and rent, such that we were evicted
through a court order in march of this year, and a complete stranger
offered us an unconditional loan of ?4,000 so that we would not be
prosecuted?

 there has to be an equitable exchange, here, especially given that
much of the software simply doesn't exist other than in terms of
requirements specifications (or if really lucky, experimental
programs), and thus it's not going to materialise out of thin air
unless someone's paid to work on it.  unless you're extremely lucky.

 also, i think it's important for the freedombox developers to stop
thinking in terms of debian packages, debian packages, debian packages
- sod the f******g debian packages, get the f*****g software written -
the debian packaging takes care of itself.

 thinking in terms of debian packages all the time is like waiting for
low-hanging fruit to just drop into your lap, rather than going out
and planting the seeds, tending the garden and stopping the slugs
eating it.

 it should be blindingly obvious, but apparently isn't, so i'm going
to have to spell it out. the freedombox project is a project where the
required software simply does not exist.  that means that, although
there is a lot of excitement and support from the debian community for
this project, in some ways debian developers, being used *mostly* to
just doing "packaging" [i'm fully aware that there are notable
exceptions], are not best suited to the task of getting the project
up-and-running.

 ONCE IT'S RUNNING, they'll be the best people to keep it going, but
right now, creative, intelligent people with either funding or with
time to spare on their hands are needed.

 peer-to-peer networking - replacing the entire "client-server"
paradigm from the ground up - *AND* tying it into existing
client-server systems by doing web-scraping (some of which object to
this practice) is one f*****g big ambitious project.

... but it *has* to be done, because we're seeing the continual
erosion of peoples' freedoms - not just in iraq or libya but even
across the 1st world!

 so, sorry bdale, but telling me i "must create debian packaging", and
even me saying "yeah pay me" is completely missing the point - it's
bigger than that.

 ok, i said enough.

 l.