[Freedombox-discuss] Getting started

On 07/20/2011 10:50 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am very excited about the Freedombox project and would like to
> contribute. I looked at the Hardware wiki page. What is the
> recommended hardware for development/testing? I am wondering, apart
> from the boards/plug conputers listed on the page, whether it makes
> sense to use a Debian-installable NAS device as the target hardware.
>
> I thought one of the things to start with is to confugure Debian on a
> hardware with wifi and ethernet to act as a home router and then add
> more interesting stuff on to it. I am sure a lot of ideas are already
> bounced across on this list. I will try going through the archives and
> the wiki pages.

I've put together some initial material on that here with a short
package list and would love some help finishing it up:
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/router

I recommend starting with whatever hardware you have available with the
requisite number of ports or just deploying in a virtual image since at
this point configuration work is more important to most of us than
optimizing for the particular hardware.

That said, the Foundation's target hardware at the moment is the
DreamPlug, and one major reason for that is that it has two ethernet
ports and a built-in wireless access point and is thus capable of being
a router. If there are other plugs or NAS boxes with similar
capabilities I would love to hear about them as well.

-Ian