[Freedombox-discuss] http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/18/0153204/Security-Consultants-Wa rn-About-PROTECT-IP-Act

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:14:37 -0400, Ted Smith <tedks at riseup.net> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/mixed
Non-text part: multipart/signed
> On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 12:19 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > a non-centralised non-attackable truly peer-to-peer
> > replacement for the existing DNS infrastructure.
>
> Is this something the FreedomBox Debian project or the FreedomBox
> Foundation have committed to producing?
>
> Such a replacement would be an extremely sophisticated product of the
> conjunction of multiple technological advancements that simply don't
> exist yet. It was my understanding that the Freedombox project was more
> about integrating existing systems than attempting to develop novel
> solutions.
>
> Could someone with actual decision-making power (someone who works with
> the FBFoundation in some officially-recognized capacity or someone who
> has contributed packaging or code to this project) answer this
> question?

I have no decision-making power over tech issues, but am generally
familiar with the state of discussion of tech issues.  No, we have not
committed.  It is, as you say, extremely difficult.

The FreedomBox will depend in large part on what the community creates.
We are interested in ways to create autonomy from centrally controlled
structures.  As the possiblity horizon on this moves (e.g. because this
community moves it), FreedomBox Foundation will of course consider new
developments with great interest.  But so far no committments have been
made one way or another.