[Freedombox-discuss] Friendika

I'm not an expert, but I'm worried about how many federated social
alternatives are being developed, in many cases without tackling the
underlying problems. We have protocols for our needs, we just have to
integrate them, because each one is good for different needs. We have http for
asynchronous communications with ostatus (microbloging/status), webdav (file
sharing), groupdav (events and tasks) and html for posts, We have xmpp for
synchronous communications (including audio and video) and collaboration. E-
mail should be supported for a complete user experience. The servers are
already implemented and they are already federated services. It's a matter of
introducing some abstraction on top of them (akonadi already integrates almost
all this kind of services) and integrating user management, permissions, etc.,
and build the web interface on top of that abstraction. But I could still use
all my normal clients (Kopete, Choqok, Dolphin, Kontact) which is something
very important for my. If we change the underlying protocols, what will happen
with all this software? Will developers bother to adapt their applications to
the "new definitive" protocol before fixing the working protocols? Are we
willing to render all this great applications useless?

> > WebID
> > is an SSL infrastructure - which solves privacy issues at a cost of
> > everybody being accountable to an SSL signing authority. There are other
> > lesser technical issues, but this is the elephant in the room.

WebID uses SSL, but as far as I understand it doesn't rely in any CA. The
certificates can be self-signed and they will work the same. It uses the
private key installed in your PC (which might not be very convenient) and
checks if it belongs to the public key (which you have copied sometime before)
returned by the FOAF file. If they match, your friends server can be sure that
you are who you claim to be
( http://www.w3.org/wiki/Foaf%2Bssl ). In this scheme it doesn't matter which
the CA is.

Aitor Pazos Ibarzabal