[Freedombox-discuss] Rouge Freedomboxes and government intervention

On 11-06-21 at 11:29am, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 19:43 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >
> > "FreedomBox for Freedom Fighters" certainly need more thought in
> > that area.  Not realistic for a first release of FreedomBox IMO.
>
> isn't the whole purpose of the Web of Trust used by opengpg to take
> care of isolating the few rogue honeypots?

For secrecy of discrete messages, but not, as I understand it, for
secrecy of group member identification.

Debian has a WoT.  That helps me trust that someone claiming to be a
Debian Developer really has that role in the community - is not a fake.
But it does not help me trust that someone claiming to be a Debian
Developer follows the code of conduct of the Debian community.

A CIA agent can genuinely be friends of several Debian Developers, or
can genuinely apply for and become Debian Developer herself.  Web of
Trust does not protect against that (and for the case of Debian: should
not - CIA is welcome in Debian!).

 - Jonas