[Freedombox-discuss] Social Sync (was: Re: Is / Is Not)

On 11-06-09 at 07:23pm, Josef Spillner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> :: Jonas Smedegaard Donnerstag 09 Juni 2011
> > I believe such scenarios are best solved using semweb technologies -
> > i.e. FOAF, WebID and RDF.
> [...]
> > No shiny user-ready applications on that front yet, however.
>
> Indeed, however several people are already aware of this issue and
> work on such "social (network) synchronisation" tools.
> Here's a related minddump^Wconcept which I recently came up with after
> gathering the input from two workshops in this area. Its aim is to
> have integration of contacts, events, pictures etc. from the network
> all the way up into the user's desktop (and back again if desired).
> Therefore it includes commonly-used PIM-related file formats in
> addition to some fancy semantic formats:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ocs/attachments/20110608/856bf49a/attachment-0001.png

Isn't Akonadi a KDE framework.  I don't follow - do you suggest to run
KDE on the FreedomBox?!?

I guess it is useful with a URL to some more info than the picture.

> This is a nice isolated topic which is of benefit to the freedombox
> but not necessarily in all of its aspects exclusive to it. Therefore,
> if more people are interested in "social sync", I recommend taking the
> development parts of it off the main mailing list to some other place.

Agreed.  Any suggestions on where to gather?

Personally (since Perl is what I can code) I hang out with perlrdf[0]
folks on IRC and also follow the foaf-protocols[1] mailinglist.

[0]: http://www.perlrdf.org/