[Freedombox-discuss] objectives

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Bdale Garbee <bdale at gag.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:04:58 -0500, Anthony Papillion <papillion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> if the question of hardware is still up in the air then discussing
>> software components is premature as they will change depending on what
>> hardware the system needs to run on.
>
> Conversely, if the question of which software components we need to be
> able to run to fulfill our vision is still up in the air, any discussion
> of the required hardware to run that software stack is premature. ?;-)

But, doesn't it just devolve into a circular conversation at that
point? Software can't be decided without hardware, hardware without
software, etc? At some point, we do need to poke a stake in the ground
and say 'this' is where we will start. Perhaps this is your goal with
this post and I missed it.

 So is the plan basically to create a FB software stack then find
hardware for it to run on? If so, I can run with that!

> For what it's worth, one target of the initial reference implementation
> will be the "Dream Plug" from Globalscale Technologies, for the simple
> reason that the foundation has ordered a number of these to use for
> development and to meet the commitments made to our Kickstarter donor
> group. ?More on this later.

True and I think the Dream Plug is an excellent device. I've had a few
discussions with the company over some of the projects I'm working on
and I was pretty impressed. What really wowed me (aside from the tech)
was that the person who answered the phone was the person I needed to
speak to about my project. She was knowledgeable and I got the idea
that she was somehow involved in engineering. That impressed me and
made me think even more highly of GlobalScale.

> At some level of abstraction, yes it's that easy. ?But my point with
> this email was and is that it's time to move beyond the abstract and get
> specific. ?We need to replace "these components" in that sentence with a
> list of Debian packages required, for example.

OK, so I can totally get behind that. We're starting with software. I
think that actually might be more sensible than starting with hardware
and working in the software as it gives us more options now that I
think about it. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
Anthony Papillion
Advanced Data Concepts
1.918.533-9699