[Freedombox-discuss] objectives

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 12:17:50PM -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> Catching up on recent list traffic, it's clear to me that we're
> suffering from the fact that "freedombox" means so many different things
> to different people.  As a member of the foundation's board and chair of
> the technical advisory committee, I've spent a lot of time thinking
> about what it is that we're actually trying to do, and pondering how to
> get from where we are to a useful reference implementation.  To that
> end, I think it's time to articulate a roadmap, starting with a
> statement of objectives for the core that consolidates our shared values
> and vision, and provides a framework for turning our is/is-not thinking
> in to a manifest of software components to be included in a system
> image.
>
> As my own thinking has evolved, I now believe we are pursuing two
> related but different top-level objectives.  One derives from Eben's
> early articulation of motivation that many of us responded to a year or
> more ago, the other is driven largely by our collective reaction to
> recent global circumstances.
>
>   We want to provide a way for people to share with others narrowly or
>   broadly a set of thoughts and media objects hosted on infrastructure
>   they own themselves and thus have ultimate control over, as an
>   attractive alternative to such sharing via popular existing services
>   that provide little control.

"On infrastructure they own", or owned by trusted peers, i.e someone could
run a jabber node and share it with some firends while using another
service hosted by one of its peers.

>   We want to provide a way for people to communicate with each other
>   privately, minimizing their dependence on service providers, and
>   hopefully providing some resiliency in the face of service outages.

It doesn't seem incompatible to the first point I believe, and is often
something to think at the beginning of a project, so that choices are made
correctly. Eben talked about people helping chinese or iranian people in
his talk, so I think it's part of the project as much as the first point.

Censorship circumvention and getting rid of the cloudy services were the
two main points of Eben's talks I think, and they should shape the
freedombox project. They are a lot related. After all it's all about
freedom of speech on the internet. :)

bert.