[Freedombox-discuss] Minimal spec for NAS?

> ? ?Tony> But does this fit with the basic principle of being secure and
> ? ?Tony> encrypted by default?
>
> I'm all for being secure.
> I'm all for encryption too when it serves a purpose.
> However, I'm not sure what you are encrypting where and to protect from
> whom here.

Well, offering everything you have to anyone who wants it is not
exactly a good way to protect yourself from those who would restrict
your freedoms.  A box like this should probably be named the
come-and-get-me-box.

IMHO at a minimum a freedombox should offer to share *the stuff you
wish to share*, not everything you have, and it should offer to share
it through an encrypted and source-obfuscated method.

And yes, it should be easy.  E.g. plug in the box, and its little
display says "I've registerd as xyz.onion" and you point your web
browser at xyz.onion, plug in a usb-storage device and the web
interface say says "I found these files- check the ones you want to
publish" and it automatically starts feeding them to freenetproject or
gnunet or similar (since they cache elsewhere and thus prevent traffic
analysis and DOS attacks) and their relevant search engines.  And it
should have the options to give the box a name of your choice and
assign tags to the items being published but those should be optional.

Best Regards.