[Freedombox-discuss] Tor .onion domains

On 11-05-08 at 08:15am, Lee Fisher wrote:
> If Tor is used on a FB as an Exit Node, that'll increase legal risk
> for that box for confiscation, when a 'terrorist'/criminal uses that
> node for clear-text communication.
>
> Isn't one Eben's main FB premises that data on your home-based
> FreedomBox would be more off-limits than with your data hosted
> elsewhere? If your data is hosted on this exit node, that seems like
> there might be some conflict with this premise.
>
> On the positive side, a non-exit node would be less risky.

I imagine a box offering these - as yes/no or as gradual sliders:

  * Selfish -- [ ] modest  [ ] medium  [ ] mostly
    [ ] store own secrets
    [ ] ask friends to keep backups of my secrets
    [ ] fetch torrents
    [ ] connect to Tor
  * Among friends -- [ ] modest  [ ] medium  [ ] mostly
    [ ] keep backups of friends' secrets
    [ ] share files
  * Public -- [ ] modest  [ ] medium  [ ] mostly
    [ ] publish documents ( website, blog...)
    [ ] act as mirror for friends' public documents
    [ ] contribute to WikiLeaks-like mirror of others' secrets
    [ ] run a Tor exit node

I imagine that some of my friends will not want to do blogging, but
might help chinese people get onto the lovely western Internet eg. by
running a Tor exit node.

...on the other hand some may find it too controversial to that way act
as a courier for criminals globally, but might find it ok to act as
proxy for known friends that perhaps have no reliable static ip.

The idea is to emphasize egocentric vs. friend-oriented vs.
world-contributing, and for each sort by how controversial the tools
are.

 - Jonas