[Freedombox-discuss] Free hardware for the FreedomBox software

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:53:37PM +0200, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Every time you read an article about the FreedomBox it mentions that the
> hardware is very cheap and will become even cheaper in the future. This
> emphasis on cheap hardware worries me. After all, the FreedomBox is a
> server that must run reliably 24/7 for years. Cheap and server are
> incompatible. If you ask the box builders to build something that is

Cheap and server are perfectly compatible, if you're approaching
an embedded-like footprint. There are plenty of industry embeddeds
with sufficient performance and very impressive uptimes.

What you'd want is ECC memory, flash with wear-leveling
and fanless, passively cooled boxes.