[Freedombox-discuss] DreamPlugs arrived this week, work fine. Network experiment?

On 04/13/2011 09:23 AM, Denver Gingerich wrote:
> Does the DreamPlug have a fan?  If not, does it make any other sort of noise?

No, the DreamPlug is, with minor exceptions like moving the OS onto an
internal microSDHC card, basically just a redesign of the GuruPlug with
heat management as the major focus. In order to deal with the GuruPlug's
overheating issues they have done a few very good things.

First, the psu is now a separable component. It is physically isolated
from the rest of the plug and can be slid off of the top of the unit and
connected with a barrel cable to run at a distance from the rest of the
device for additional isolation if desired.

Second, almost half of the DreamPlug's weight (excluding the removable
psu) is taken up by an 80g heatsink that occupies one whole side of the
device and cools the three major onboard chips. (The whole plug weighs
310g, which drops to 195g w/o the psu)

I have a round of load testing planned for the weekend to see how well
it stays up, cool, and functioning as a router when constantly active.
Maybe we should collect our experiences on a wiki page. I just created
http://wiki.debian.org/DreamPlugTesting for that purpose.

-Ian