[Freedombox-discuss] Sunday HackFest

Hello,

On 02/20/2011 07:59 PM, Michiel de Jong wrote:

> People are still actively discussing the 7 goals set by the
> freedomboxfoundation in the IRC channel, but I have to leave, so as
> promised, here is a little round-up email of today's Sunday Hackfest. This

I take the liberty to post my log of the irc channel to the list.

Is there an official log place?

Cheers,
Erich

[Sun Feb 20 2011]
*** You have joined channel #freedombox  [13:23]
*** Topic for #freedombox: http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox |
     https://alioth.debian.org/projects/freedombox/
*** #freedombox: topic set by ChanServ!services at services.oftc.net, 16:41:39
     2011/01/12
*** Users on #freedombox: erwaelde mirsal_ nicoman ehj pabs julianoliver
     ErkanYilmaz1 Bugsbane aggelos michiel_unhosted ram0 Michaelblizek
     josef|rumba sardonic bochecha unicron javaanse_jongens milk mono000333
     skhaen ailo_ hossi mfb mikepark egh kaner amiller micah HerraBRE rtdos crc
     peddie kelsoo holloway anarcat WinterMute pickan craSH persia aevin irvee
     ludens sstangl openfly qubitsu tmarble anibal dilinger mjj29 cmn OdyX
     zumbi_
*** #freedombox modes: +nt
*** #freedombox was created on Friday 2010/08/06 04:22:49 PM
*** mirsal_ (~mirsal at sal69-2-78-192-146-25.fbxo.proxad.net) has quit: Remote
     host closed the connection  [13:27]
*** mirsal_ (~mirsal at sal69-2-78-192-146-25.fbxo.proxad.net) has joined channel
     #freedombox
*** Bugsbane (~user at bas2-oshawa95-1242505642.dsl.bell.ca) has quit: Ping
     timeout: 480 seconds  [13:34]
*** qualiabyte (~qualiabyt at 184.233.105.235) has joined channel #freedombox
								        [13:45]
*** julianoliver (~julian at 160.Red-88-2-199.staticIP.rima-tde.net) has quit:
     Read error: Connection reset by peer
*** milk (~milk at 94-193-93-226.zone7.bethere.co.uk) has quit: Quit: baaaiiii
								        [13:54]
<kaner> so the tor project is building a hardware-based relay version, its
	called `torouter'  [14:04]
<kaner> similar requirements like freedombox
<kaner> i thought you'd find this interesting: http://pastebin.com/qf32Ug7f
								        [14:05]
*** Bugsbane (~user at bas2-oshawa95-1242505642.dsl.bell.ca) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [14:09]
<ehj> hi, im' so happy for fbx, just want to say telekompinnen was
       conceptualised 2 years ago
       http://euwiki.org/Propensities/Free_Infrastructure :-)  [14:19]
*** mirsal_ (~mirsal at sal69-2-78-192-146-25.fbxo.proxad.net) has quit: Ping
     timeout: 480 seconds  [14:25]
*** mono000333 (~mono00033 at 91.79.92.121) has quit: Ping timeout: 480 seconds
								        [14:26]
*** mono000333 (~mono00033 at 91.79.111.190) has joined channel #freedombox
								        [14:27]
*** bochecha (~bochecha at n219078053217.netvigator.com) has quit: Ping timeout:
     480 seconds  [14:32]
*** endian7000 (~endian700 at 64.134.103.20) has joined channel #freedombox
								        [14:34]
*** nesciens (~nesciens at ip82-139-84-66.lijbrandt.net) has joined channel
     #freedombox
*** jonas (~jonas at host81-141-93-96.wlms-broadband.com) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [14:39]
*** jonas (~jonas at host81-141-93-96.wlms-broadband.com) is now known as
     Guest2019
*** Guest2019 (~jonas at host81-141-93-96.wlms-broadband.com) is now known as
     jonas  [14:41]
*** e3i8 (~ericking at cpc1-camd8-0-0-cust107.hari.cable.virginmedia.com) has
     joined channel #freedombox  [14:52]
*** qualiabyte (~qualiabyt at 184.233.105.235) has quit: Ping timeout: 480
     seconds  [14:55]
*** qualiabyte (~qualiabyt at 184.233.105.235) has joined channel #freedombox
								        [14:56]
*** nesciens (~nesciens at ip82-139-84-66.lijbrandt.net) has quit: Quit: Leaving.
								        [15:05]
*** nesciens (~nesciens at ip82-139-84-66.lijbrandt.net) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [15:06]
*** bochecha (~bochecha at n219078053217.netvigator.com) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [15:11]
*** phitoo_ (~philippe at dpc6747121246.direcpc.com) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [15:12]
<endian7000> to paraphrase Michiel and his epic Observer Effect... why is this
	     room so quiet?  [15:22]
*** michi_ (~michi at 178-191-226-27.adsl.highway.telekom.at) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [15:23]
<endian7000> anyone ready to rumble?
*** michi_ (~michi at 178-191-226-27.adsl.highway.telekom.at) has quit: Quit:
     Leaving  [15:28]
*** ehj (~ehj at 88.147.15.175) has quit: Remote host closed the connection
								        [15:29]
*** Michaelblizek (~michi at 188-22-100-108.adsl.highway.telekom.at) has quit:
     Read error: Operation timed out
<michiel_unhosted> yes, sorry  [15:40]
<endian7000> howdy
<michiel_unhosted> i'm ready :)
<endian7000> * rumbling *
<endian7000> is there a wiki page with (city -> (person, skillz,
	     interests)-list) yet?  [15:41]
* michiel_unhosted revving up the engines ;)
*** dxld (~DanielG at chello212186033116.406.14.vie.surfer.at) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<endian7000> there should be -- local meetups/hackathons are fun and
	     productive  [15:42]
<michiel_unhosted> so what i think we can do is maybe see who wants to look
		 into which of the seven goals today
*** djbclark (djbclark at 208-78-97-186.slicehost.net) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<michiel_unhosted>  1) Safe social networking, 2) Secure backup, 3) Network
		 Neutrality, 4) safe anonymous browsing, 5) home network
		 security, 6) encrypted email, 7) private voice communications
		 - ref.  http://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/goals/
*** GNUtoo|laptop (~gnutoo at host68-143-dynamic.54-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it)
     has joined channel #freedombox  [15:43]
<michiel_unhosted> i will start by looking into how far diaspora is with the
		 facebook integration, for 1).
<endian7000> 1, 2, 6 here  [15:44]
<michiel_unhosted> the secure backup can i think be a cronned rsync?
<GNUtoo|laptop> hi, just for knowing, what's the starting point? take luci
		configuration and web interface of openwrt and port it to
		debian?
<endian7000> I was thinking a system-integrated app  [15:45]
* GNUtoo|laptop was on #freedombox on freenode and tought we were doomed
   because there was nearly nobody and the channel was not active
<endian7000> to back up a mac, for example, use FSEvents for better
	     performance
<endian7000> there are lots of complementary subsets of work here  [15:46]
<endian7000> am I missing some here? https://github.com/tafa/tafa/wiki
<bochecha> michiel_unhosted, fwiw, I suggested it earlier but let's reiterate
	   just in case: there's one FOSS facebook equivalent that isn't
	   listed on the wiki page called Friendika. I haven't tested it
	   myself, but it seems pretty advanced already and might be worth
	   looking at
<michiel_unhosted> bochecha there are roughly 30 FOSS facebook equivalents
								        [15:47]
<michiel_unhosted> diaspora, friendika, statusnet, appleseed, and many more
<bochecha> michiel_unhosted, they already have a federation protocol though,
	   just like what Diaspora is still trying to implement  [15:48]
<endian7000> http://identi.ca/jancborchardt is aggregating FOSaaS links
<endian7000> http://libreprojects.net/ and
	     https://jancborchardt.titanpad.com/libreprojects
<GNUtoo|laptop> hmmm does disapora use xmpp?
<endian7000> should we use that term? FOSSaaS? it sounds cool
<michiel_unhosted> yeah, i like FOSSaaS as a term  [15:49]
<michiel_unhosted> diaspora does not use xmpp, although there is i think a
		 fork that does
<endian7000> with social, people seem to be focusing on
	     information-propagating systems  [15:50]
<michiel_unhosted> basically, i think there is xmpp federation and OStatus
		 federation
<endian7000> that's important, but I want to focus on the silent aggregation
	     parts instead
<endian7000> and then integrate a propagation system
*** pabs (~pabs at d122-104-112-53.per9.wa.optusnet.com.au) has quit: Quit: Don't
     rest until all the world is paved in moss and greenery.
<endian7000> silent-social: you have one node/page per person  [15:51]
<endian7000> and as you use LinkedIn/Twitter/Meetup/..., the HTTP responses
	     get parsed and imported
<endian7000> and you can explicitly add notes, public key fingierprints...
								        [15:52]
<endian7000> it could be an address book + extra info
<endian7000> hmm, there are only a few of right now  [15:53]
<endian7000> maybe we should introduce ourselves and what we want to work on?
<endian7000> michiel?
<michiel_unhosted> yes, sorry
<michiel_unhosted> you are describing a project called silent-social now,
		 right?
<endian7000> a project idea -- it doesn't exist  [15:54]
<michiel_unhosted> ah
<michiel_unhosted> Safe social networking, in which, without losing touch with
		 any of your friends, you replace Facebook, Flickr, Twitter
		 and other centralized services with privacy-respecting
		 federated services;
<endian7000> "social-agg" would be better...
<michiel_unhosted> i think diaspora is already a social aggregator project
<michiel_unhosted> and the goal says we need at least facebook, flickr and
		 twitter.  [15:55]
<michiel_unhosted> twitter is easy, flickr can't be that hard either i think
*** redarrow (~thomas at 188.40.154.38) has joined channel #freedombox
<michiel_unhosted> privacy-respecting federated services is also easy, there
		 are many of those around  [15:56]
<michiel_unhosted> so i think the part to focus on there is a read/write
		 client for facebook
<michiel_unhosted> 8 days ago someone said on diaspora-dev that this should
		 work in diaspora now. so my question would be: is there
		 anything else that aims to be, or include, a facebook client?
								        [15:58]
<endian7000> not sure -- I'm no facebook expert  [15:59]
<michiel_unhosted> or, otherwise, is there anything in diaspora that makes it
		 unfit for using it as [a basis for] the solution for goal 1)
<michiel_unhosted> meaneither ;)
<endian7000> the code and UX was dreadful
<endian7000> but they're probably better now
<endian7000> *were  [16:00]
<michiel_unhosted> we'll see.
<michiel_unhosted> my goal for today is install diaspora, test facebook
		 integration, and report back about it.
<endian7000> cool
<endian7000> my dev goal is to make progress on tafa-media and tafa tools
<michiel_unhosted> would you agree that that would be a sensible first step
		 for goal 1)?
<endian7000> yes  [16:01]
<michiel_unhosted> cool, what does the name stand for?
<endian7000> maybe we should have a titanpad with what we're doing / notes
<endian7000> TAFA: temporary acronym for a freedom box attempt  [16:02]
<endian7000> https://github.com/tafa
<endian7000> https://github.com/tafa/tafa/wiki
<michiel_unhosted> ok.
<endian7000> titanpad? http://titanpad.com/3LsfCMplSR  [16:03]
<michiel_unhosted> anybody else here feel like hacking?
		 http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-February/000473.html
<endian7000> brb coffee  [16:05]
<michiel_unhosted> i'll stop editing the titanpad while the other person
		 organises the goals list :)  [16:06]
<dxld> about goal 6(encrypted email), is the fb supposed to act as a mail
        server that transparently en/decrypts mail so the user can retrieve
        decrypted mail directly from the fb?
<michiel_unhosted> i understand it as installing a pgp-capable webmail service
		 on it  [16:08]
<dxld> ah
<endian7000> back  [16:09]
<endian7000> right: tafa-mail :)
<michiel_unhosted> dxld (and other people) do you want to work on one of the 7
		 points today?
<dxld> im just looking at what i could do  [16:10]
<michiel_unhosted> ok cool! good to have you here :) apart from you, so far
		 it's endian7000 and me, i think
<dxld> do we have any restraints on what tools should be used?
<michiel_unhosted> here is what i wrote about this "Sunday Hackfest" effort:
		 trying to hack together an experimental version of the
		 freedombox in a virtual server image, with whoever wants to
		 join in.  The starting point will be this:
		 http://pagekite.net/community/DebianFB/ (open
		 freedombox.20101010.tar, inside there is an image that you
		 can open with Oracle VM VirtualBox)  and the goals will be
		 this: http://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/goals/
<dxld> ruby/php/node ..?
<endian7000> I think we should have these constraints:
	     https://github.com/tafa/tafa/wiki  [16:11]
<endian7000> so dozens of apps can share a NodeJS process
<michiel_unhosted> there is a constraint to *try* to use existing debian
		 packages wherever possible
<dxld> right
<endian7000> and be awesomely efficient
<michiel_unhosted> although
<michiel_unhosted> talking about web apps changes this, i think
<endian7000> are y'all familiar with NodeJS and why it's awesome?  [16:12]
<endian7000> 2009 slides:
	     http://s3.amazonaws.com/four.livejournal/20091117/jsconf.pdf
<dxld> endian7000:  absolutely!
<michiel_unhosted> :)
<endian7000> :)
<endian7000> are you familiar with CoffeeScript?  [16:13]
<endian7000> and Express?
<dxld> i heard of it but never felt like playing with it
<dxld> i've been working with node.JS for quite a while, so i know all the
        usual stuff ;)  [16:14]
<endian7000> :)
<endian7000> I think it should be _this_ easy to write apps:
	     https://github.com/tafa/tafa-media/blob/master/app.coffee
<endian7000> I need to clean up/release the tool I made for running apps like
	     that...  [16:15]
<dxld> but i still don't entirely get what we are trying to do now..
<endian7000> different things
<endian7000> michiel is researching the state of (diaspora, facebook
	     integration)
<dxld> do we want to build everything on top of node or use existing stuff
        that uses php/ruby or whatever?
<endian7000> I want to build on node  [16:16]
<endian7000> some want to package existing stuff
<dxld> well me too ;) but that is just a really huge effort
<endian7000> what projects are you interested in?
<michiel_unhosted> i think we shouldn't be talking about writing node apps for
		 stuff that already exists in debian  [16:17]
<dxld> building stuff like webmail, mesh networking on top of node when there
        are already projects that do this
<michiel_unhosted> so webmail, probably exists in debian
<michiel_unhosted> so then we shouldn't write a new webmail program
<dxld> endian7000: CouchDB, GNUNet, Node, stuff like that
<endian7000> which webmail apps are in debian?  [16:18]
<endian7000> cool
<dxld> michiel_unhosted: i was thinking we could use SquirrelMail
<dxld> they have a PGP plugin
<michiel_unhosted> great!
<endian7000> SquirrelMail is PHP  [16:19]
<dxld> mhm :/
<michiel_unhosted> so let's not spend much more time on that one today now
		 then
<endian7000> it doesn't use any client-side JS
<michiel_unhosted> endian7000 that's not the point
<michiel_unhosted> the point is whether it is a debian package or not
<michiel_unhosted> now, if we find that there are things that don't exist
<dxld> endian7000: i don't like it either, but it does the job ;)
<michiel_unhosted> then that's where we start coding
<michiel_unhosted> and it is already in debian
<michiel_unhosted> i think
<endian7000> one goal: have as awesome as possible a distro in a few months
								        [16:20]
<endian7000> which means writing awesome frontend apps
<endian7000> dxld: any specific things you want to hack on now?  [16:21]
<endian7000> http://titanpad.com/3LsfCMplSR  [16:22]
<dxld> i'm not sure yet ^^
<dxld> is the secure backup supposed to backup files or stuff like contact
        info ?  [16:23]
<endian7000> files, maybe more  [16:24]
<dxld> mhm
<erwaelde> I envision secure backup as something like tahoe-lafs, see:
	   http://tahoe-lafs.org/
<endian7000> cool  [16:25]
<erwaelde> A system of containers spread among the FB systems, where files are
	   stored encrypted. Default values: everything os loaded to 10 nodes,
	   with 3 functional of them data can be recovered.
<erwaelde> Encryption is done on the client side, so someone else can never
	   see the data in clear text.  [16:26]
<dxld> does tahoe scale space wise?
<erwaelde> I don't know. I have made an attempt to install it on a few boxes
	   of mine, but thats all.  [16:27]
<dxld> i mean when you have 200 freedom boxes with 10GB of storage and you
        distribute that to 10 other nodes how is that ever going to work?
<michiel_unhosted> endian7000 i don't agree with you on the goal of having an
		 as awesome as possible distro in a few months. i think we
		 should stick to debian wherever possible
<endian7000> sorry, I should have said "suite of apps"
<erwaelde> This means that 90% or more of my local disk is used as storage for
	   others.
<erwaelde> Thats the price for regaining my data after loss of the local box
	   for whatever reason.
<dxld> right  [16:28]
<javaanse_jongens> flashblock  [16:29]
<javaanse_jongens> ops
<javaanse_jongens> wrong win again
<erwaelde> IMHO this is not for my music collection, videos, images, but maybe
	   for smaller but more important snippets of data
<dxld> true, but there is a lot of potential for abuse in providing storage to
        others  [16:31]
<endian7000> with client-side encryption, users could use S3
<erwaelde> Certainly. It seems that tahoe-lafs was designed as well to store
	   my stuff in some providers cloud, but disabling them to see it in
	   clear.  [16:32]
<erwaelde> The use of S3 might be shut down. That is much harder with 200
	   nodes distributed over the planet.  [16:33]
<endian7000> so the whole sharing thing could be an unnecessary distraction
	     from encryption, {Mac,Win,Lin}-integration, and other aspects...
<endian7000> true
<erwaelde> That's what I gather from Eben Moglens presentations
*** willma (~willma at 165.214.187.81.in-addr.arpa) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [16:35]
<endian7000> for those joining us now: http://titanpad.com/3LsfCMplSR  [16:37]
*** bochecha (~bochecha at n219078053217.netvigator.com) has quit: Quit: Leaving
								        [16:41]
<michiel_unhosted> gnunet, good point  [16:43]
<michiel_unhosted> that had sunk to the back of my memory
<dxld> it doesn't work yet but i really like it anyways
<dxld> well the file sharing service doesn't work yet  [16:44]
<HerraBRE> Hello!  Better late than never :)
<dxld> hey
*** endian7000 (~endian700 at 64.134.103.20) has quit: Quit: endian7000
<michiel_unhosted> hi!  [16:45]
<michiel_unhosted> http://titanpad.com/3LsfCMplSR
<willma> I take it the pad is free update?  [16:46]
<willma> So just add stuff that might fit the bill?
<HerraBRE> It seems you guys are duplicating somewhat the work on the wiki -
	   is that deliberate?
<willma> Which page HerraBRE?  [16:48]
<michiel_unhosted> that may have been me, sorry
<HerraBRE> moment, looking for the link :)
<willma> Is the coffee JS thing the language to be used for the interface/GUI?
								        [16:49]
<HerraBRE> http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/ExampleProjects
<HerraBRE> That has a lot of resources listed for various tasks.
<michiel_unhosted> willma that is a suggestion of endian7000, but in general,
		 we are looking at building the whole thing from debian
		 packages  [16:50]
<willma> including the web gui? an out of the box solution?
<michiel_unhosted> well, yes, sort of  [16:51]
*** endian7000_ (~endian700 at 64.134.103.20) has joined channel #freedombox
<michiel_unhosted> for instance, SquirrelMail is already a web gui
<endian7000_> back -- did I miss much?
<willma> but they you have OS configuration
<michiel_unhosted> what do you mean by that?
<willma> Sure use established, stable, secure apps for the actual work aspect,
	 but there needs to be system glue  [16:52]
<willma> webmin probably isn't suitable :)
<HerraBRE> willma: but could it be a useful beginning, and then skinned and
	   cleaned up?
<michiel_unhosted> willma i wouldn't necessarily say there needs to be glue
* michiel_unhosted agrees with HerraBRE  [16:53]
<HerraBRE> I was trying to remember the name of webmin, knew it existed :=
<HerraBRE> :)
<endian7000_> there needs to be one web app interface
<endian7000_> with /app-commons
<willma> I agree with endian7000_
<endian7000_> where you can browse/search apps and install them with one click
<endian7000_> and /configure where you can see your hardware topology  [16:54]
<endian7000_> (e.g. an picture of a hard drive with a line to your third
	      sheevaplug)
<endian7000_> and you can tell it to format and use the drive
<HerraBRE> I agree that something like that will need to exist at some point.
	   Not sure if it needs to be the first thing done, but perhaps in
	   parallel. Question is whether anything exists already or if it is
	   easier to write from scratch.  [16:55]
<endian7000_> and yes, you're sure
<endian7000_> scratch! scratch! scratch!
<dxld> endian7000_: +1
<willma> From scratch I think. I'm not aware of anything suitable OTS
<willma> However, is it needed from day 1? Who is the target for the unit?
								        [16:56]
<willma> I'd recommend Perl or maybe Ruby for the glue. There are already a
	 load of system integration modules available. Could even use Puppet
<WinterMute> webmin is pretty complex  [16:57]
<willma> Too complex I'd argue. And potentially insecure
<HerraBRE> An admin interface is insecure by default :)  [16:58]
<HerraBRE> I mean, that's it's job.
<willma> If the target of this project is really those who have a lot to loose
	 through access to the device the attack surface needs to be tiny
<erwaelde> given the latest ruby packaging withdrawals, I'd prefer perl.
<endian7000_> insecure by default? how?
<endian7000_> HTTPS
<HerraBRE> Perl is much more mature. It's uglier, but there is a massive
	   amount of support for it.
*** veosotano (~veosotano at 89.131.202.114) has joined channel #freedombox
<endian7000_> and in the box, there's a sheet of paper
<willma> I agree with that
<HerraBRE> endian7000_: what I mean, is an admin interface has superuser and
	   reconigures the entire device.
<endian7000_> with the HTTPS fingerprint
<endian7000_> ah, yes  [16:59]
<endian7000_> but that's probably in the interest of most users
<willma> Admin interrace needn't have root/super user to all the system
<endian7000_> at least to get started
<veosotano> hello all
<endian7000_> howdy
<HerraBRE> So saying webmin is insecure is silly, is all.
<HerraBRE> you can put a password and https around it just like anything else.
<endian7000_> veosotano: collaborative notes @ http://titanpad.com/3LsfCMplSR
								        [17:00]
<endian7000_> yes
<willma> HTTPS uses it's own web server, it runs as root/has root equivilancy
<willma> s/HTTPS/webmin/
<HerraBRE> That is a good basic design.  [17:02]
<HerraBRE> Separate it from other web-things.
<willma> But then it relies on it's own security rather than that of a larger
	 project. I think webmin is too complex for this projects audience
	 anyway  [17:04]
<veosotano> excuse my ignorance, but I'm quite new to this project... could
	    anyone explain to me in 1 sentence what FreedomBox is about?
<veosotano> is it an Operating System?
<erwaelde> otano> is it an Operating System?  [17:05]
<erwaelde> ERC>
<HerraBRE> veosotano: A debian-derived Linux distribution, suitable for
	   embedded plug-style computers designed to provide the services
	   people need to enhance privacy and provide a private alternative to
	   cloud-based services.
<HerraBRE> Is my understanding.
<ErkanYilmaz1> veosotano, see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomBox
<WinterMute> veosotano: http://freedomboxfoundation.org/goals/
<erwaelde> More like a set of packages than a distribution.  [17:06]
<HerraBRE> erwaelde: Calling it a distribution is probably the most clear way
	   to explain, even if you could cherry-pick things from it and merge
	   into other systems.
<veosotano> and is Unhosted a part of FreedomBox? just aligned goals?
	    collaborating foundations?  [17:07]
<WinterMute> isn't the target audience non tech/non geek?
<HerraBRE> WinterMute: yes. Which just means the hardware vendor pre-installs
	   the distro for you, and the distro tries to be really easy to use.
								        [17:08]
<michiel_unhosted> veosotano the two projects are unrelated, although both
		 were inspired by Eben Moglen  [17:09]
<veosotano> ah ok :)
<michiel_unhosted> unhosted is a small piece in a bigger puzzle
<michiel_unhosted> freedombox is another piece.
<veosotano> its a bigger movement, then  [17:10]
<veosotano> about descentralizing the internet
<endian7000_> and TAFA is another piece: an attempt to write lots of awesome
	      web apps that run well on a FB
<endian7000_> https://github.com/tafa/tafa/wiki
<veosotano> am I right?
<michiel_unhosted> veosotano yes :) exactly
<HerraBRE> veosotano: yes, I think that's pretty accurate :)
<endian7000_> yes
<willma> Thats why I'm here veosotano :)  [17:11]
<veosotano> :D  [17:12]
*** lukisi (~lukisi at 195.81.18.210) has joined channel #freedombox  [17:13]
<willma> How is security is general being addressed? What standards are too be
	 adhered to?  [17:14]
<michiel_unhosted> hi lukisi, welcome - if you're here to hack, see
		 http://titanpad.com/3LsfCMplSR
<michiel_unhosted> i am looking into goal 1, specifically, i'm trying to find
		 out to what extent diaspora solves the facebook integration.
								        [17:15]
<willma> I happy to start to look at OS platform security. I doesn't seem to
	 be addressed anywhere  [17:17]
<lukisi> Hi all
<veosotano> hi
<michiel_unhosted> willma cool! that would fall under number 5, i think?
								        [17:18]
<michiel_unhosted> or what do you call OS platform security?
<willma> If the device itself is considered 'home'
<willma> Making sure the unit is safe, secure and can be trusted
<michiel_unhosted> it's debian  [17:19]
<willma> So audit, logging, integrity checks
<willma> The running system
<michiel_unhosted> ah
<willma> Not the source
<michiel_unhosted> that makes sense
<michiel_unhosted> intrusion detection, that sort of thing, right?
<michiel_unhosted> is there a debian package for that?
<willma> yes
<willma> apparmor or SELinux
<willma> They have... overheads though
<willma> Also, whether VServer/OpenVZ would be useful for segregation  [17:20]
<michiel_unhosted> i hear ya
<michiel_unhosted> ok, so even though it's not strictly part of goal 5, we can
		 file it under goal 5 i guess. good luck and have fun! :)
								        [17:21]
<willma> Thanks, I will :D
<endian7000_> how about a (city --> (person, skillz, interests)-list) page?
<endian7000_> http://titanpad.com/jJ7Y6xtT8d
<endian7000_> local meetups and hackathons can be fun and productive  [17:22]
<michiel_unhosted> willma add yourself to the titanpad under 'What we're
		 working on now / progress notes'
<willma> I have an idea of spawning containers and configuring them using
	 puppet.   [17:23]
*** Schlomo (~Steff at 81-234-111-32-o279.telia.com) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [17:24]
<willma> I think it might be a little out of scope for this work, but it would
	 certainly provide security
<willma> It's just everything else would have to fit around it
<michiel_unhosted> would it?
<endian7000_> you mean like how startups deploy to VMs?
<HerraBRE> willma: that sounds a tad heavy for a plug computer :)
<willma> I guess so. BUt locally
<willma> SHouldn't be
<willma> the containers off very little over head  [17:25]
<willma> I think I'll file it in the to be investigated pile for now :)
<willma> I'll look at security and integrity and other number 5 stuff.
<michiel_unhosted> willma cool!
<willma> Gives me an excuse to go out and buy and ALIX or shiva plug :D
								        [17:26]
<endian7000_> there was a 4-week delay when I got my SheevaPlug
<michiel_unhosted> what do people think of gnunet?
<michiel_unhosted> does it solve point 3, network neutrality?   [17:27]
<michiel_unhosted> i think you would need a wifi mesh for that, right?
<michiel_unhosted> otherwise you always have a single point of failure, being
		 your isp  [17:28]
<dxld> GNUNet can operate on a wifi mesh
<michiel_unhosted> dxld yes, that's what i'm thinking
<michiel_unhosted> establish a wifi mesh
<michiel_unhosted> to solve point 3
<willma> Is it stable yet?
<veosotano> what's a wifi mesh?
*** ehj (~ehj at cust-212-160-108-94.dyn.as47377.net) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<endian7000_> gtg -- I'll be back later today
<dxld> nope
<michiel_unhosted> then run gnunet to solve point 4, about anonymous
		 publishing  [17:29]
<dxld> rather unstable (some parts of it at least)
*** endian7000_ (~endian700 at 64.134.103.20) has quit: Quit: endian7000_
<willma> And is it's security proven?
<willma> Because I think for this project anything that isn't stable and
	 proven should be rejected from the first version
<michiel_unhosted> or fixed :)
<dxld> i don't know.  [17:30]
<michiel_unhosted> is there a proven anonymous publishing tool?
<willma> tor, i2p, freenet have all been around for some time and are pretty
	 well understood
<dxld> there are some papers about GNUNet
<michiel_unhosted> more than gnunet?
<willma> Is fixing other projects short falls our goal? Because I'd say while
	 we can file bugs against them we can't fix them so could end up
	 waiting on the upstream
<michiel_unhosted> willma but fixing an existing project is better than
		 creating a new one from scratch  [17:31]
<michiel_unhosted> i don't know,we'll see
<willma> Sure, I agree with that. I'm just wary the gnunet is still new
								        [17:32]
<HerraBRE> I really like Tor. I've met with multiple people from the project,
	   and they are smart and dedicated.
<willma> new is nice and shiny but I'd rather have something stable and well
	 proven.
<HerraBRE> And they have funding.
<michiel_unhosted> HerraBRE could you use Tor, without anything on top of it,
		 to anonymously publish something?  [17:33]
<HerraBRE> yes
<HerraBRE> that is what hidden services do
<michiel_unhosted> and is there a hyperlinked web of such services?
<willma> I though they were just anonymous end points?
<redarrow> willma: at least with tor there are issues/problems with the
	   goverment of germany and other parts of the european union
<HerraBRE> redarrow: Not for publishing.
<HerraBRE> Basically a tor hidden service is just a TCP/IP service.  [17:34]
<dxld> redarrow: what problems?
<willma> redarrow: in what way/
<willma> ?
<HerraBRE> Exit nodes are difficult to run in some countries, as the traffic
	   exiting may get you in trouble.
<willma> Which means you can't upload it.. freenet provides a service like
	 that
<Schlomo> with a wifi mesh. It still has to go trough a gateway to an ISP
	  rigth. Is there a way around that?
<willma> Ah, okay HerraBRE I see. That's why I don't run and exit node!
<HerraBRE> willma: Yes, it's not a distributed cloud, you have to actually
	   host it yoruself and be reachable.  [17:35]
<HerraBRE> Tor only provides anonymity, but it does so both for publishing and
	   network use.
<HerraBRE> Because obviously one of the TCP/IP services you can run is a
	   webserver.
<HerraBRE> And if you carefully make sure it doesn't leak info about where you
	   are and who you are (watch out for dates, time zones, software
	   versions etc) you can publish things in an untraceable way.
								        [17:36]
<michiel_unhosted> HerraBRE so for the goal "Safe anonymous publication:
		 Friends or associates outside zones of network censorship can
		 automatically forward information from people within them,
		 enabling safe, anonymous publication", do we need anything
		 but Tor?
<HerraBRE> For that you need more, you need Tor + mirrors.
<lukisi> I do not know TOR personally. So I am wondering, what does it mean
	 that OperaTor proved to be not able to circumvent censorship il
	 Libya?
<willma> That's far too risky I think HerraBRE - some information might just
	 want to be passed on
<HerraBRE> I think if you want censorship resistant publishing, you need more
	   than Tor.  [17:37]
<HerraBRE> That is not the same goal as anonymous publishing :)
<dxld> GNUNet has censorship resistant publishing ;)
<willma> So does freenet
<michiel_unhosted> and what about i2p?  [17:38]
<HerraBRE> I don't know i2p, I think it is very similar to Tor.
<willma> i2p doesn't exit to the public Internet does it?
<willma> There is another option - something like anonet
<nicoman> i2p is more scale ... and freenet  is java :S to heavy to plug
<HerraBRE> http://www.i2p2.de/how_networkcomparisons
<willma> yeah, java does kind of put a spanner in the works  [17:39]
<dxld> https://gnunet.org/compare
<nicoman> hi!!! :) y don't speak english... sorry :(
<nicoman> onli can read
<willma> i2p is java too  [17:40]
<willma> I think for the publish part gnunet looks like the best option
								        [17:42]
<willma> For connectivity out to the public internet via protect means, tor
	 looks like the best option  [17:43]
<willma> IMHO of course
<HerraBRE> Was it deliberate to leave out *non-anonymous* publishing from the
	   todo list?
<HerraBRE> or should that fall under social networking?  [17:44]
<HerraBRE> ... or social networking fall under something more generic like
	   "non-anonymous communication/publishing"?
<willma> I like the latter HerraBRE   [17:46]
<HerraBRE> If FreedomBoxes are supposed to help people "leave the cloud", they
	   will need to provide alternatives to what people use the cloud for.
	   And that's a lot of non-anonymous communication. :)
* HerraBRE edits the pad
*** Mixhael (~Ilja at ip21-245-210-87.adsl2.static.versatel.nl) has joined
     channel #freedombox  [17:48]
<willma> Does freedom extend to DRM bypass?
*** lukisi (~lukisi at 195.81.18.210) has quit: Ping timeout: 480 seconds
<erwaelde> Not neccessarily, imho.  [17:50]
<michiel_unhosted> willma there is a risk of scope bloat here.
*** lukisi (~lukisi at 195.81.18.210) has joined channel #freedombox
<willma> As ever with everything :) What in particular?  [17:51]
*** willma (~willma at 165.214.187.81.in-addr.arpa) has left channel #freedombox:
     #freedombox
*** willma (~willma at 165.214.187.81.in-addr.arpa) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<michiel_unhosted> would DRM bypass be an 8th goal?  [17:52]
<willma> I mention it as it depends what 'Freedom' means
<michiel_unhosted> referring to http://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/goals/
<nicoman> open hardware = 8th goal :)
<willma> I don't know if it's something we should aim for early on, but should
	 it be on the radar?
<willma> Would it be setting the project up as a target for Big Business
*** ian_brasil_ (~ialawren at 187.116.126.106) has joined channel #freedombox
<michiel_unhosted> willma ah, ok. i have no opinion about that
<willma> I personally think in the world of Freedom with a capital F it's
	 important (well, the issue as a whole is). For this project, I think
	 it's something best avoided as it is a hot potatoe  [17:53]
*** Schlomo (~Steff at 81-234-111-32-o279.telia.com) has quit: Quit: L?mnar
<willma> As it's not elicited a stream of support forget I said anything ;)
								        [17:54]
<HerraBRE> I'm not sure how it applies anyway, DRM bypass generally happens on
	   the device where you have access to the media or are playing it.
	   FreedomBoxes will generally do neither, they would just provide
	   dumb storage and sharing capabilities. Which are related, but
	   simpler.
<willma> It's a tool that could provide a function. Strip DRM on the storage
								        [17:55]
<willma> It's a freedom issue is all I meant
<HerraBRE> sure :)
<willma> right, gotta go. bbl  [17:56]
*** willma (~willma at 165.214.187.81.in-addr.arpa) has quit: Quit: willma
<HerraBRE> Something vaguely related, is that if a device helps with backups -
	   say you plug a giant hard drive into your FB and it then takes
	   backups of your laptops and mobile phones etc. automatically. Then
	   a killer feature is to auto-compile and expose a media library from
	   the backed up data.
<HerraBRE> A lot of interesting personal data mining can happen on a device
	   which does smart backups, this is one such example.  [17:57]
*** Bugsbane (~user at bas2-oshawa95-1242505642.dsl.bell.ca) has quit: Ping
     timeout: 480 seconds
<HerraBRE> None of the cloud guys can provide such features because of privacy
	   concerns and not wanting to be RIAA targets.  But a FreedomBox
	   could totally rock that sort of thing.
<michiel_unhosted> contribution by gbraad, who can't be on IRC right now: "tor
		 is not very useful in china without bridges but still
		 preferred solution."
<HerraBRE> It would be very nice if FreedomBoxes could easily be made into
	   bridges :)  [17:58]
<HerraBRE> I wonder if Tor's centralized directory stuff will melt if a
	   million FreedomBoxes start connecting. :)  [18:00]
<michiel_unhosted> sorry, i had to learn what Tor bridges are before i could
		 answer that. after reading
		 https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges my answer is yes :)
<redarrow> HerraBRE: probably, but the main point for tor is not the bridge I
	   think. There are more difficulties with the exit point, because
	   there are less than entry points and that's why tor is right now
	   terribly slow
<HerraBRE> redarrow: that's not what I've heard from the Tor people, they've
	   told me they have plenty of exit bandwidth.  [18:01]
<michiel_unhosted> but can you also use a web that's entirely within Tor,
		 without exiting?
<HerraBRE> michiel_unhosted: yes
<michiel_unhosted> HerraBRE so then you can publish anonymously?  [18:02]
<HerraBRE> redarrow: but bridges to provide access circumventing great
	   firewalls is something they always need more of.
<HerraBRE> michiel_unhosted: yes, but your server has to stay up for the
	   content to be reachable.
<michiel_unhosted> that's where the FreedomBox comes in :)
<HerraBRE> redarrow: Tor is by nature always going to be slow because of all
	   the extra hops.
<michiel_unhosted> it would be desirable to mirror, obviously
<michiel_unhosted> as you said earlier  [18:03]
<michiel_unhosted> sorry, my brain is a bit behind on the discussion ;)
<redarrow> HerraBRE: if you are lucky the connection ist fast but most times
	   you are right you have to cope with one very slow node in the
	   middle
*** clstaudt (~Adium at f053216108.adsl.alicedsl.de) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [18:04]
<michiel_unhosted> welcome back clstaudt
<clstaudt> hi @all
<michiel_unhosted> http://titanpad.com/jJ7Y6xtT8d describes what we think
		 about each of the seven goals
<michiel_unhosted> we're currently discussion the anonymous publishing one
								        [18:05]
<michiel_unhosted> (goal number 4)
<clstaudt> sure it's the right link? document starts with name/handle
<clstaudt> skillz
<clstaudt> interests
<HerraBRE> http://titanpad.com/3LsfCMplSR  [18:06]
<clstaudt> thanks
<michiel_unhosted> ah sorry  [18:11]
<michiel_unhosted> brb
*** michiel_unhosted (~michiel at 77.228.77.112) has left channel #freedombox:
     #freedombox
<redarrow> Tor is already implemented in the 'freetz' project (Project to work
	   with (nearly) every fritz!box router) (German Page:
	   http://freetz.org/wiki/packages/tor) unfortunately there is no
	   english one, as there is no german Overview of how tor works ...
								        [18:12]
<redarrow> wow, have I missed something?  [18:14]
*** seadog (~seadog at athedsl-31451.home.otenet.gr) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [18:15]
<amiller> there's so much to read  [18:16]
*** zx81 (~chatzilla at 188-126-68-189.cust.vpntunnel.org) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<amiller> today is a hackfest? that's exciting
<seadog> hello everybody
<dxld> hi
<zx81> hey there  [18:17]
<redarrow> hi
*** michiel_unhosted (~michiel at 77.228.77.112) has joined channel #freedombox
*** Mixhael (~Ilja at ip21-245-210-87.adsl2.static.versatel.nl) has quit: Quit:
     Mixhael  [18:18]
<clstaudt> how can encrypted e-mail become really, really easy to use?
<aggelos> err, what are the criteria for choosing between
	  {free|}gnunet|i2p|tor?
<aggelos> do you guys want a darknet or anonymous publication on the existing
	  internet?  [18:19]
<aggelos> tor seems to me as the obvious choice for the latter  [18:20]
<aggelos> clstaudt: take key management out of the picture?
<amiller> i just installed tor and did a 'proof of concept' use case of an
	  anonymous publication, i think
<amiller> i want to explain what i did so any of you can tell me if i did it
	  wrong  [18:21]
<redarrow> aggelos: for me to, but is there a way to encrypt the .onion
	   Service?
<aggelos> redarrow: https?
<redarrow> aggelos: something like that, but as I see this is not implemented
	   yet
<aggelos> but in any case, iirc there are powerfl attacks against tor hidden
	  services  [18:22]
*** Mixhael (~Mixhael at ip21-245-210-87.adsl2.static.versatel.nl) has joined
     channel #freedombox
<aggelos> redarrow: where do you see that?  [18:23]
<michiel_unhosted> aggelos the definition is "Safe anonymous publication:
		 Friends or associates outside zones of network censorship can
		 automatically forward information from people within them,
		 enabling safe, anonymous publication"  [18:24]
<HerraBRE> The net neutrality stuff actually implies Tor or something similar
	   - a fallback alternate route when ISPs block ports. That's a
	   different goal though.  [18:25]
<michiel_unhosted> amiller great! i'll write a report of our findings to the
		 mailing list, later. send me a snippet that i can include
<amiller> thank you :]
<amiller> michiel_unhosted i'm a huge fan of your unhosted page, i think
	  that's the most important idea, although i've been reading about a
	  whole lot of important ideas here in the last day
*** tg (~tg at irc.tgbit.net) has joined channel #freedombox  [18:26]
<aggelos> HerraBRE: uhhh, being forced to have 2 orders of magnitude greater
	  latency hardly qualifies as restoring network neutrality... :)
<zx81> amiller: there are lots of projects so interesting to see where
        freedombox fits in.
<HerraBRE> aggelos: it's better than nothing.
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: yah, is that enough? or do you want people inside
	  the censorship zone to be able to access that publication?
<aggelos> HerraBRE: absolutely  [18:27]
<michiel_unhosted> amiller thank you! take into account that unhosted is only
		 one of the projects that make up the 'decentralized web'
		 revolution. it's a piece in a bigger puzzle
<aggelos> HerraBRE: but the description seems very optimistic
<HerraBRE> Using off-the-shelf components, I think tor may be the only
	   solution at the moment that can accomplish that particular goal of
	   circumventing port blocks. But a custom written tool for just that
	   (without the anonymity) would be much more efficient.
<HerraBRE> Mr. Moglen is nothing if not an optimist :)  [18:28]
<redarrow> aggelos: the hidden service test page says something "the web site
	   does not support encryption for the page you are viewing"
<zx81> michiel_unhosted: i believe the trick is to make things so easy that
        there is mass adoption.
<aggelos> redarrow: sounds like you're trying to talk https to an http port :)
<michiel_unhosted> zx81 the trick to what?  [18:29]
<michiel_unhosted> s/to/for
<zx81> michiel_unhosted: i.e. blocking a niche service would not raise
        eyebrows, whereas blocking the internet does
<redarrow> aggelos: No, I just wanted to find out if it might be possible to
	   use https instead of http for the last hop to the destination
<aggelos> redarrow: https is end-to-end and yes you can use it  [18:30]
<zx81> michiel_unhosted: if a decentralized and heavily censorship-resistant
        'web' can weave itself into the very fabric of the internet, so popular
        apps/services are built on top of it, makes it much harder to shut down
        without people complaining  [18:31]
<michiel_unhosted> zx81 dictators still block things, despite their mass
		 adoption. but mass adoption is obviously where we're aiming
		 at :)  [18:32]
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: still, if you have mass adoption, you /prevent/
	  mass surveilance, so that's something  [18:33]
<michiel_unhosted> the only way to be safe from dictators, is wifi mesh, i
		 think
<michiel_unhosted> and a dynamo to generate your own power ;)  [18:34]
<aggelos> and your own private army, yes :)
<amiller> the steps i took to make a pseudonymous post were: 1) install tor,
	  vidalia, privoxy, configure according to their website,  2) use
	  firefox and torbutton, and audit myself through pantopticlick 3)
	  register a hushmail account  4) make an account with twitter 5) make
	  a post  -    my analysis: the hushmail account i don't consider
	  secure, but all i care is that it isn't linked back to me, i
								        [18:35]
<amiller> found vidalia very pleasant to use, and i like the idea of auditing
	  tools like panopticlick and i hope we make more things like that
	  - can someone tell me if i missed an obvious step and should use a
	  different layer somewhere
<aggelos> amiller: did you use https: to connect to twitter? :)  [18:36]
<redarrow> amiller: have you used a dedicated browser for your tor session?
								        [18:37]
<amiller> i used a dedicated browser, a fresh firefox in privacy mode
<aggelos> redarrow: torbutton is supposed to take care of things like that
<redarrow> for example you use ie for daily stuff and firefoy ONLY for tor
	   related connections
<amiller> redarrow: that's precisely right, i use chrome for everything and
	  only installed firefox for this  [18:38]
<redarrow> aggelos: but there are security issues - so if you want to be
	   really sure ...
<zx81> aggelos: are there any successful community or commercially based wifi
        meshes to study and learn from? what's the hook to get people adopting
        a freedombox? might have to sell the box to charities and NGOs to
        promote.
<zx81> aggelos: 'sell' as in selling the idea.
*** phaidros (~phaidros at 188.40.166.29) has joined channel #freedombox
*** phaidros (~phaidros at 188.40.166.29) has left channel #freedombox:
     #freedombox
*** drwhax (~drwhax at 178.21.20.207) has joined channel #freedombox
<aggelos> redarrow: if you're aware of such security issues please let us know
	  so we can report them and/or fix them  [18:39]
<redarrow> zx81: that's the same question which comes into my mind aswell I
	   just was not fast enough to wirte it down
<aggelos> redarrow: I mean I'm aware of some, but iirc they're pretty minor
*** seadog (~seadog at athedsl-31451.home.otenet.gr) has quit: Remote host closed
     the connection
<aggelos> zx81: freifunk
<amiller> aggelos: if i did not use https, would my first hop, from my laptop
	  to the tor entry node, be unencrypted?
<aggelos> zx81: but afaik it's not an ad-hoc mesh, so the answers you'll get
	  by studying them are not always relevant  [18:40]
<aggelos> amiller: no, the last hop
<redarrow> aggelos: one is that if you start torbutton while you have visited
	   a website you have to refresh this site (you get an message window
	   which points to the bug and this is more than one year old)
<aggelos> redarrow: yup
<amiller> aggelos: then I think it's OK as long as my goal was to make a post
	  that could not be linked to me, even if i don't care that it gets
	  snooped because it's essentially a 'public' 'pseudonymous' message
*** phaidros (~phaidros at 188.40.166.29) has joined channel #freedombox  [18:41]
*** sardonic (~sardonic at c-24-10-84-112.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has quit:
<amiller> however i imagine it's hard to specify exactly what your goals and
	  needs are, because everyone's situation will be a little different
<michiel_unhosted> bad news about point 1: diaspora doesn't have a read/write
		 client for facebook. you need to register your node on
		 facebook dev to get an api key for your domain. that's very
		 hard to automate and it's likely that facebook would stop us
		 registering millions of api-partners (one per end-user)
		 http://groups.google.com/group/diaspora-dev/browse_thread/thread/29170f19c47c4c96/2d0499ad96aa6eed
<aggelos> amiller: but your login credentials can be sniffed by someone
	  running a malicious exit node
<amiller> aggelos: i see, that makes sense  [18:42]
<aggelos> amiller: I'm assuming you won't be creating a different identity for
	  each tweet ;)
<amiller> even if i was going to do that (it was my original plan here) i
	  would be vulnerable to someone impostoring me if it's easy to see my
	  login credentials  [18:43]
<aggelos> hmm, this discussion is a bit all over the place. which is fine and
	  appropriate really, but I'm not sure what has already been talked
	  about :)
*** glo (~seadog at athedsl-134584.home.otenet.gr) has joined channel #freedombox
<michiel_unhosted> so will have to try something ourselves, at least for now
<aggelos> amiller: there wouldn't be a "you", you'd be tweeting stuff
	  independently
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: err, that's not realistic
<aggelos> well  [18:44]
<aggelos> a /lot/ of the goals are very optimistic, just saying that 1) is the
	  most optimistic of them ;)
<michiel_unhosted> you think?
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: why not try to keep it simple, stupid and get
	  something useful in the next couple of months  [18:45]
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: I'm positive
<michiel_unhosted> without the facebook-exit, you mean?
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: there's no way in hell facebook will play along
<michiel_unhosted> aggelos i would propose a Levin search
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: yah
<redarrow> amiller:your message is encapsuled in many layers. One for each
	   hop. So every hop does only now the IP it comes from and the IP it
	   goes to, but the Exit Node has to decrypt your message bevor it can
	   be send to the webserver, so he will know your username and
	   password if you don't use https
<michiel_unhosted> ah, sorry, i wasn't thinking facebook would play along of
		 course  [18:46]
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: what does the levin search have to do with
	  anything?
<michiel_unhosted> sorry, it was a joke
<aggelos> kk
<michiel_unhosted> i meant to say we work on each of the 7 points at the same
		 time
*** phitoo_ (~philippe at dpc6747121246.direcpc.com) has quit: Quit: Konversation
     terminated!  [18:47]
<michiel_unhosted> then if one of them fails, the others will still not be
		 delayed, or at least not by more than a constant factor
								        [18:48]
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: imho any given goal is too big atm, so a bit of
	  focus might help. that goes for each one of us individually, not for
	  the group discussion of course
<aggelos> ...
<aggelos> people <--- .... ---> math  [18:49]
*** glo (~seadog at athedsl-134584.home.otenet.gr) has quit: Remote host closed
     the connection
<aggelos> just saying that people will work on what they, personally, find
	  interesting, so I'd much rather everyone focused on that and just
	  presented an action plan for review/input  [18:51]
<zx81> aggelos: agree.  diversity of projects will be good for
        cross-pollination.  [18:53]
*** twur (~twur at 74-131-161-158.dhcp.insightbb.com) has joined channel
     #freedombox  [18:56]
*** willma (~willma at 165.214.187.81.in-addr.arpa) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<michiel_unhosted> i am focussing on #1 of www.freedomboxfoudation.org/goals
		 now. this may help
		 http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux/141-how-to-monitor-your-facebook-profile-in-linux
								        [18:58]
*** veosotano (~veosotano at 89.131.202.114) has left channel #freedombox:
     #freedombox
<willma> Just how paranoid/security conscious does a FreedomBox need to be?
<michiel_unhosted> willma i would say "quite"  [18:59]
<willma> Are we targeting opressed peoples in oppressive regimes as a number
	 one aim, or is this more about getting off the cloud and preserving
	 western democratic ideals?
<willma> Thing is, if I were a citizen of an oppressive regime I'd want to
	 make damned sure that the freedombox would never expose me. Ever.
								        [19:00]
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: indeed, you'd still be relying on facebook for
	  availability, wouldn't you?
<michiel_unhosted> yes, but you would just be like a client app.
*** thomy (~thomy at p54820437.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<willma> That is very different from those in a cosy western democracy who
	 have some form of due process, a stable legal system and so on
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: ...  [19:01]
<michiel_unhosted> imagine you use tweetdeck to read and write your twitter
<willma> The security requirements are very different
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: did you watch eben moglen's fosdem talk? I think
	  he adresses that quite explicitly :)
<michiel_unhosted> but it's only during the transition, right?
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: transition to what?  [19:02]
<michiel_unhosted> to a free social network.
<willma> There is no transition.
<willma> You leave facebook
<michiel_unhosted> the thing is, if you are on a free social network, and your
		 friends are not, then you will be very lonely
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: yah, I'd rather focus on getting /that/ on the
	  horizon
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: yup. and I don't think there's a way around that
	  that involves cooperation w/ facebook  [19:03]
<aggelos> I was in the xmpp dev room a while ago
<aggelos> one of the guys that started it made a very good point
<michiel_unhosted> it explicitly says "without losing touch with any of your
		 friends"
<aggelos> they had something that could replace aim/aol/icq etc perfectly well
								        [19:04]
<aggelos> and 10 years later, people are /still/ using them for regular text
	  IM'ing
<aggelos> so I don't think there was an issue with getting your buddy list out
	  of aim/icq/whatever  [19:05]
<erwaelde> In the Debconf 2010 talk, there is explicit mention of aggregator
	   sw, such that messages of my friends on facebook are collected
	   through the same client channel as messages of my friends on
	   elsewhere. Thats why I wrote the message on the mailing list.
<michiel_unhosted> but the handy thing is you can have an aggregator client
		 like pidgin that speaks all of the above
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: and people still stay on the same old
	  pimps^Wsocial networks  [19:06]
<erwaelde> plus the new stuff, i.e. sending my message to my friends
	   FreedomBox directly.
*** nesciens (~nesciens at ip82-139-84-66.lijbrandt.net) has quit: Quit: Leaving.
<willma> but they have to want to leave FB. You can't wean people of it. It's
	 not a drug.
<aggelos> erwaelde: aww, come on, now you're moving the discussion to the
	  abstract again ;)  [19:07]
<aggelos> j/k
*** jdeisenberg (aa5b0504 at ircip2.mibbit.com) has joined channel #freedombox
<michiel_unhosted> i think erwaelde is right
*** seadog_ (~seadog at athedsl-134584.home.otenet.gr) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<willma> Those who require anonymity, security, will use a tool that provides
	 it
<aggelos> willma: and it will be useless
<willma> Why?
<aggelos> willma: encryption is useless if only a handful of people are using
	  it  [19:08]
<willma> Yes
<aggelos> in a totalitarian state, it just makes you a target
<willma> But we're not trying to change the world directly here are we?
<erwaelde> Iff the new stuff is cooler, people will move. If it's just "more
	   private and secure" then I do not expect many to move over. I try
	   this discussion regularly in my workplace :-)
<willma> Thats well beyond the scope of this project.
<aggelos> willma: no, but what you're suggesting has been tried and failed
<willma> what's the measure of failure?   [19:09]
<aggelos> willma: I have tons of technical acquaintances and yet /nobody/ uses
	  gpg
<aggelos> so it's close to useless for secure communication
*** guybrush (~patrick at 93-82-55-199.adsl.highway.telekom.at) has joined
     channel #freedombox
<erwaelde> we are trying to re-establish, what the net was before the
	   "internet", decentralized, immune against the loss of nodes, not
	   controllable ...  [19:10]
<erwaelde> Nothing short of that.
<aggelos> err
<aggelos> was it ever like that?  [19:11]
<erwaelde> It was much less controlled by our all ISPs.
<aggelos> turning it off was always just as easy
*** clstaudt (~Adium at f053216108.adsl.alicedsl.de) has quit: Quit: Leaving.
<willma> I think lofty aims are fine but how about the ground work first?
								        [19:12]
<willma> I also am a little concerned that the goals of a project protecting
	 those in opressive regimes are not the same as a project that is
	 aiming to help people get off the cloud  [19:13]
<willma> Can any free webmail client compete with gmail? No.
<aggelos> willma: good point, but they can be reconciled, can't they?  [19:14]
<willma> At some point
<erwaelde> I live happily without gmail. So is that the goal, compete with
	   gmail?
<aggelos> willma: are you talking about the UI or the spam filtering?  [19:15]
<willma> However, the security requirements for case A (oppressive regime) are
	 very, very different case B (off the cloud)
<aggelos> erwaelde: absolutely, I'd say
<redarrow> erwaelde: me too as well as facebook ... But that's me
<willma> UI, spam filtering, availability, security
*** nesciens (~nesciens at ip82-139-84-66.lijbrandt.net) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<erwaelde> "Off the cloud" is a good first goal, because it will teach us lots
	   of lessons. To make the thing "oppressive proof" is much harder. I
	   don't think, one can get this right from the outset.  [19:16]
<willma> I'm migrating away from gmail for myself and a number of other users.
	 How much they'll miss it I don't know.
<aggelos> willma: UI-wise I don't see anything fundamental getting in the way.
	  as for spam filtering...  [19:17]
<willma> time
<redarrow> hmm, 1und1 (german ISP reseller) has a good webmailer as well
<willma> gmail is the best webmailer I've ever used bar none
<willma> I've used it for, what, 3 years. It's only the privacy issue that is
	 problematic
<willma> Otherwise is just works from everywhere  [19:18]
<willma> They ever do two factor auth now
<redarrow> willma: but that should every webmailer do
*** seadog_ (~seadog at athedsl-134584.home.otenet.gr) has quit: Ping timeout:
     480 seconds
<willma> Yes, I agree, but they do that as a security feature. Sorry, it's a
	 bit unrelated to my previous points.
<aggelos> willma: except you can't really do gpg w/ a web client, can you? :)
<redarrow> if a webmailer does not work everywehre it has missed his point
	   ment to be
<willma> But a freedombox webmailer would be stuck at the end of an ADSL line
	 or even a mobile line  [19:19]
<willma> erm, I mean modem
<erwaelde> "ground work": I'm currently building/testing tahoe-lafs on a
	   seagate dockstar. Takes some time. This isn't packages for debian.
	   Anyone knows if there is work in progress?
<redarrow> aggelos: you probably can use gmail accounts in your Mail Client
	   like Thunderbird or Outlook and there use gpg but thant of course
	   its not location independent  [19:20]
<erwaelde> /packages/packaged/
<willma> aggelos: You can do S/MIME I would have thought?
<aggelos> redarrow: at that point I can use my regular mail server
<aggelos> willma: but you then trust the code serv
<aggelos> *ed to you by the server?
<redarrow> aggelos: right
<willma> aggelos: Can browsers sign data/   [19:21]
<willma> ?
<willma> They can certainly generate private keys
<aggelos> willma: JS is turing complete, it  can do anything :)
<willma> haha, yeah
<aggelos> but then you put all your faith in the server  [19:22]
<aggelos> (this could be worked around w/ browser extensions)
<willma> So, would I be safe when looking the the OS security side to assume
	 that the 'off the cloud' case is the primary target at the moment?
<aggelos> but to be frank, doing secure mailing at an internet cafe or at some
	  other untrusted box is hopeless
<willma> I mean, private keys can be generated by browser native code.
								        [19:23]
<willma> Very true
<aggelos> willma: not sure I get what you mean
<zx81> off-topic: Is there going to be log of this chat anywhere? I will be in
        and out today but dont want to miss anything.  [19:24]
<willma> I'm looking at goal 5. I want to make sure what I do is proportionate
	 to the platforms use
<willma> That is either 'off the cloud', in which case ease of use is >=
	 security. For the oppressive regime use, security is priority number
	 one.   [19:25]
<aggelos> btw,
	  http://gigaom.com/2011/02/17/building-the-technology-stack-for-internet-freedom/
								        [19:26]
<willma> what's the USs agenda? Why fund this?   [19:28]
*** seadog_ (~seadog at athedsl-29914.home.otenet.gr) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<aggelos> willma: I think people here mostly agree that you want a unified
	  network that will be adopted for home-cloud style usage and will be
	  instantly available in hard times
<aggelos> willma: let's not talk politics now ;)
<willma> haha :)  [19:29]
<michiel_unhosted> "2) Secure backup: Your data automatically stored in
		 encrypted format on the Freedom Boxes of your friends or
		 associates, thus protecting your personal data against
		 seizure or loss" - this would need a user interface that lets
		 you choose friends. do any of the proposed packages have
		 that?
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: choosing friends is easy. it's finding them that's
	  the interesting part ;)
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: and I don't know of anything that does that
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: imho it would be a very useful building block
								        [19:30]
<michiel_unhosted> finding them could be out-of-band
<willma> I think I'm missing a part of this here. What's the protocol used
	 between freedomboxs? What does 'instantly available' mean?
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: that reduces it to a public-key distribution
	  problem which we have failed to solve in the past. or not?
<aggelos> willma: meaning you're already using it. you don't have to go
	  searching for instructions on how to set it up when things go bad
								        [19:31]
<michiel_unhosted> but it's not that pressing here. if it's only for the
		 backups, you could send a backup request to a friend you know
		 from meatspace  [19:32]
<willma> 'go bad'?
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: imho you absolutely want to use meatspace friends
	  as backup buddies anyway
<michiel_unhosted> then the friend could phone you and give you the key, or a
		 password or whatever in a voice call. or even a live
		 face-to-face meeting
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: solves the churn/availability problem nicely
<willma> michiel_unhosted: What about a distributed, encrypted backup? Too
	 slow? Too much data?
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: ffs  [19:33]
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: gpg has demonstrated that won't happen
<aggelos> willma: too much of a research problem imo  [19:35]
<aggelos> willma: there have been solutions proposed and implemented though
<aggelos> willma: http://oceanstore.cs.berkeley.edu/info/overview.html  [19:36]
*** jdeisenberg (aa5b0504 at ircip2.mibbit.com) has quit: Quit:
     http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
<willma> There is always encryption + cloud storage, no? Dropbox, S3 etc.
								        [19:37]
<aggelos> ...
<willma> It all relies on the private key being secure but
<aggelos> "availability"
<michiel_unhosted> so is there any conclusion about "4) Safe anonymous
		 publication: Friends or associates outside zones of network
		 censorship can automatically forward information from people
		 within them, enabling safe, anonymous publication"?
								        [19:38]
<willma> A distributed option is the only way then surely?
<aggelos> willma: yah, but it can be a global data store or a friendnet, I
	  prefer the latter b/c I think it's more straightforward to implement
								        [19:39]
<willma> The former doesn't require you trust a friend
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: again, are we talking darknet or internet? I'm not
	  yet clear on that
*** and1bm (~andi at HSI-KBW-078-043-088-194.hsi4.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has
     joined channel #freedombox  [19:40]
<michiel_unhosted> i don't know either :)
<dxld> aggelos: both
<aggelos> willma: yes, the former has advantages too, but w/ a tahoe-style
	  solution you don't need to either
<michiel_unhosted> i've copied this from the foundation's website, presumably
		 this has been formulated by Eben himself.
<aggelos> willma: you just depend on the fact that not all your friends will
<	  go away at the same time
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: eben's not jesus :)  [19:41]
<aggelos> no need to start interpreting him here, we can each have our own
	  opinion, no? :)
<michiel_unhosted> about "5) Home network security, with real protection
		 against intrusion and the security threats aimed at Microsoft
		 Windows or other risky computers your network", i'll say
		 willma is looking into this  [19:42]
<aggelos> dxld: well doing just the anonymous publication on the internet
	  thing is way easier ;)
<dxld> ^^
<willma> Yes, I'll pick that up  [19:43]
<dxld> i think for now we should just use tor
<dxld> we can add a darknet later
<michiel_unhosted> do you know any debian packages for this yet?
<michiel_unhosted> or anything else i can mention in my email
<aggelos> willma: can you explain what it's about? :) not clear on that either
<willma> 5)?
<aggelos> yah  [19:44]
<willma> My understanding is a firewall or alerting system
<aggelos> huh?
<aggelos> but that assumes you're the router, no?
<willma> with IDS (e.g. snort), firewall (shorewall)
<willma> yes, to a large degree
<willma> Quite frankly if you're not you're not going to see very much
<willma> nessus could be part of that
<willma> but it's an active check  [19:45]
<aggelos> uhhh
<erwaelde> 5) has to do with the FB being my router.
*** Mixhael (~Mixhael at ip21-245-210-87.adsl2.static.versatel.nl) has quit:
     Quit: Mixhael
<aggelos> those are admin tools
<willma> Yes
<aggelos> not that useful for home users
<willma> Depends on the UI
<aggelos> also, see HerraBRE's objections re: assuming you're the router
<aggelos> on the list
<willma> Oh, sure
<willma> this project isn't a router and the shiva plug etc only have 1 NIC
								        [19:46]
<willma> I will give it some thought
<erwaelde> It's useful for home users, if it prevents a single instant of
	   someone getting in from the outside.
<aggelos> willma: guruplug has two, and in any case most home users use wifi
*** clstaudt (~Adium at f053216108.adsl.alicedsl.de) has joined channel
     #freedombox
<willma> 'Most' is not all
<aggelos> erwaelde: it just can't do that
<aggelos> willma: I know
<erwaelde> a FB might be a tad better than the stuff I got from my ISP?
								        [19:47]
<willma> So, what did whoever wrote 5) have in mind?
<willma> Yes, it would be better. Could to IPv6 as well
<willma> but there are plenty of router projects out there
<aggelos> willma: just saying, it's reallly hard to do IDS if you're not the
	  router and impossible to protect other boxes
<willma> I know.
<aggelos> willma: unless you hijack the gateway ip etc  [19:48]
<aggelos> but that's ... problematic
<willma> Can do IDS for the freedom box itself
<willma> no, this has to be clean. RFCs are king :)
<willma> But whoever wrote 5 must have had some idea of what they meant?
<willma> Otherwise it's a bit of a pointless goal is it not?  [19:49]
<aggelos> willma: I'd return to sender(tm)
<aggelos> willma: "too vague, explain your assumptions"
<willma> sure
<willma> It needs clarification of the aim
<willma> However, there is no reason security auditing can't be in the remit
								        [19:50]
<aggelos> and the deployment model
<aggelos> willma: again, home users
<willma> E.g. check local machines firewalls, nessus scan with traffic lights
	 on the result
<willma> sure, but information is power.
<aggelos> they just won't know what to do w/ a security report, no matter how
	  dumbed down
<aggelos> willma: but feel free to prove me wrong :)  [19:51]
<willma> true, but I don't think that's not a reason not to
<willma> It could hook into routers and other devices
<willma> but then that requires the ISP to allow SNMP access, telnet access or
	 what have you
<willma> My main reason for picking that up was to look at the freedom box
	 integrity and checking  [19:52]
<aggelos> willma: snmp is useless for ids purposes?
<willma> IDS, antivirus, auditing, integretiy checks etc
<aggelos> willma: and telnet interfaces are not even close to standardized ime
<willma> Limit use
<willma> No, so it's have to be customised per device
<willma> limited use on the snmp
<aggelos> heh  [19:53]
<aggelos> that's not really realistic
<willma> As I say, I'll give it some though. I only volunteered 90 minutes ago
	 :)
<willma> no, its not
<willma> So, michiel_unhosted, that goal needs some clarification as to what
	 it means
<willma> What did the author have in mind?  [19:54]
<aggelos> it sucks that I'm only shooting down ideas btw
<willma> Given the freedombox is not a rooter
<willma> No, aggelos not at all
<willma> I see the faults too
<michiel_unhosted> willma ok, your lead :)
<michiel_unhosted> i'll put that remark in my email
<willma> Come up with ideas then see if they stick
<aggelos> michiel_unhosted: will you CC the list please?
<willma> michiel_unhosted: On a positive note, I'll look at Freedombox
	 integrity as part of 5  [19:55]
<michiel_unhosted> i will do better than that, i will To: the list :)
<michiel_unhosted> yes, i already wrote that.
<aggelos> :)
<ehj> willma, here are some old ideas on another project, something might be
       fun: http://euwiki.org/Propensities/Free_Infrastructure  [19:56]
<ehj> willma, maybe some links at the bottom can even be useful  [19:57]
<willma> I'll review, thanks ehj
<willma> got to go for a while. bbl
<ehj> willma, thanksm byt
<ehj> willma, thanks bye  [19:58]
*** willma (~willma at 165.214.187.81.in-addr.arpa) has quit: Quit: willma
ERC> /names #freedombox
*** Users on #freedombox: clstaudt and1bm seadog_ nesciens guybrush thomy twur
     phaidros drwhax tg michiel_unhosted zx81 ian_brasil_ lukisi ehj redarrow
     GNUtoo|laptop djbclark dxld qualiabyte e3i8 jonas mono000333 erwaelde
     nicoman ErkanYilmaz1 aggelos ram0 josef|rumba unicron javaanse_jongens
     skhaen ailo_ hossi mfb mikepark egh kaner amiller micah HerraBRE rtdos crc
     peddie kelsoo holloway anarcat WinterMute pickan craSH persia aevin irvee
     ludens sstangl openfly qubitsu tmarble anibal
*** Users on #freedombox: dilinger mjj29 cmn OdyX zumbi_
<michiel_unhosted> email sent. i have to leave now!  [20:00]
<amiller> cheers
<michiel_unhosted> please correct any errors/bias in the email
<michiel_unhosted> i didn't always understand/follow everything that was being
		 said, so it is likely that parts of my email are plainly in
		 contradiction with what was actually said - whereever this is
		 the case, please correct.  [20:02]
<michiel_unhosted>
		 http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-February/000480.html
<michiel_unhosted> have to run now, bye!  [20:03]
<erwaelde> received. Thanks for all the effort!
<erwaelde> Bye