[Freedombox-discuss] Routing around nationwide and international Internet blocks

Hi!

On 14:48 Mon 28 Feb     , Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I don't know where you live, but there is a lot of
> grid-tied PV installations around here.

grid-tied PV is most often unable to provide power, if the grid is off. There
are ways to do this, but they require more equipment: (1) an inverter which
is able to do this and (2) a battery

> > remaining batteries and a handful of generators, electronic
> > communications would be essentially gone no matter what
> > kind of box we build.
>
> You could run an Android based Serval node or long-range
> WiFi node on a 15-20 W PV panel (99 USD, sans battery)
> indefinitely. Lighting up a fiber for only slightly more.

This IMHO very optimistic. It might be the case near the equator, but it is
definitely wrong in central europe. Here you need about 30-70W PV pannels per
watt your devices take - at least if you want to power your network in the
winter season, too. You also need a battery and charging electronics.

A tiny WLAN router might take is low as maybe 2 W. But you may want more than
one. I guess powering a fiber will take a lot more.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com