[Freedombox-discuss] feature request - expandable status categories

Hi. There is a capability that I hope would be fairly simple to implement,
but which I believe could greatly enhance adoption by academic interests.

If Twitter-like status updates can be categorized according to an
expandable list, each with its own list of recipients, then the format
could become a boon to researchers and certain commercial interests. One
application would be biometric monitoring. We don't want to collect a lot
of medical information about ourselves if that information is not secure.
If it is secure, then we might choose to offer certain types to
researchers, as well as our biomedical monitoring companies.

Any kind of real-time monitoring, like very-local weather conditions or
dietary habits, might then be improved through the data contributions of
interested parties; as it is with the distributed computation of SETI.

Thus, the possibility of being able to collect large amounts of data for a
trivial cost could drive the early adoption by the technically proficient
research sector, without detracting from its usefulness as social media.

Best wishes,

Dan