[Freedombox-discuss] Independent email services

Hi!

On 15:04 Sat 26 Feb     , Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Asking everyone to run their own email server on the Freedom Box is fine
> - especially if it's pretty transparent and 'just works' for them. But
> the process of purchasing and associating a domain name with the box,
> configuring the mail server to accept mail for the domain, configuring
> MX records, etc, are all over the average users head.
>
> When I was pursuing my project, my solution was to run an intermediate
> domain service and then assign subdomains to each server sold. Then, all
> the user would have to do is go into the interface and plug in their
> subdomain and the service would just work. We'd (me, initially) would
> handle everything on the backend domain side.
>
> That, of course, would mean having an email address like
> jdodson at jdodson.somedomain.net but it would streamline management a bit.

I guess you should not really ship a (sub)domain with the device, but rather
give the users an easy way to register one for themselves. This should be
possible to do without leaving the freedombox userinterface. There should not
be that much centralisation worries as long as there are enough (sub)domain
providers you can choose from.

You do not need an MX record either. If you do not have one, mails will be
sent to the server in the A record instead - which is exactly what you need.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com