[Freedombox-discuss] what to do concretely to help

Hi Anthony!

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 02:05:31AM -0600, Anthony Papillion wrote:
>I read about the Freedom Box about two weeks ago and heard about the
>foundation tonight via Twitter. As both a software developer and a
>privacy/human rights advocate, I am very excited and passionate about
>what Freedom Box offers and I want to help.

Welcome aboard!

Contributions can, I believe, be grouped into four areas:

  a) concrete boxing, including software setup automation
  b) concrete software package selection and configuration
  c) design of technical architecture and user experience
  d) development of software pieces and its packaging

Some of us here believe that a certain order of above is needed, and/or
that certain leadership (appointed by Eben Moglen?) should rule on that.
I believe we can work on all areas in parallel, and need only friendly
guidance while moving along at our own pace with all of it.

I also feel it makes best sense to work on d) elsewhere than in this
FreedomBox project and only summarize progress of it here.  But again
this is something we do not agree on.

Some of us feel the need postpone working until we have concensus of
some direction, e.g. which Freedom-enabling technologies we want in "the
FreedomBox" - I guess to not waste time working on areas later dropped.
To me there is not one single FreedomBox but a process of boxing
Freedom-enabling technologies. I encourage everyone to just dive in and
work on what you find most relevant to work with - i.e. fun, easy to
reach, and (seemingly) helpful for progress of this project.  I don't
worry about "waste of effort": even if not directly ending up under the
"FreedomBox" label, your contributions may very well end up blossoming
in other areas of the FLOSS ecosystem.

Lots of concepts have been presented on this list of how to tackle
various freedom-issues.  But mostly in the d) area and apparently mostly
assuming that c) is a 2D menu-based web interface like is often seen on
SoHo routers today.

Might be that the Foundation, with its money boost, can save us all by
telling us what to do and when to do it regarding c), b) and a), but I
hope not.  Let's work on all 4 fronts and let that money be spent in the
parts of the world where already money talks - e.g. at the field of
hardware production and marketing, not here in the field of FLOSS
software!

  - Jonas