[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap proposal

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Ben Francis <mail at tola.me.uk> wrote:

> 2011/2/17 Bjarni R?nar Einarsson <bre at pagekite.net>
>>

>>> Incidentally, you are describing a device that I personally could not
>>> use, because my ISP provides me with a router and won't let me change or
>>> replace it.
>>>

> This is interesting, I've often wondered about that. I've always used my
> own router, not the one my ISP provides me with, it would never even occur
> to me to ask my ISP's permission.
>

> What is it they do exactly to prevent you using your own router or is it
> just that it would break their T&Cs? What country do you live in? Is it
> cable or some kind of DSL? Is this common for most people?

Oh, that's easy. They pre-configure it and never tell me the passwords. :-)

The connection is DSL. I think the motivation for doing it this way is they
are offering TV over DSL as a paid extra, and probably figured it would be
easier to lock down the edges than do proper access controls. :-P  Security
by obscurity, I guess.

I am in Iceland, so this may be quite rare globally. Or it may be common, I
really don't know. But I figure if my ISP thought of it and decided it was a
"good idea", others might as well. And we don't even have an IP address
shortage to deal with, unlike some other parts of the world...

Especially w.r.t mobile - 3G dongles are becoming more and more popular as
peoples' primary Internet connection, and that stuff is very often heavily
firewalled/NATted as well.

So I'm pretty keen on some sort of FreedomBox that can do useful things even
from behind a very restricted Internet connection. :-)

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
The Beanstalks Project ehf.

Making personal web-pages fly: http://pagekite.net/