[Freedombox-discuss] Added Pagekite to the wiki

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 02:04:56PM +0000, Bjarni R?nar Einarsson wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> First step is to file an RFP or ITP bugreport about it.  I recommend
>> using the tool "reportbug" for that - found in the package by the
>> same name:
>>
>>  reportbug wnpp
>>
>> ...and then follow the command-line wizard.
>>
>> When that's done, you can hand the resulting bugnumber to this list
>> and at other Debian-related places, trying to convince someone of the
>> relevancy of maintaining a packaging of that project.
>>

>I would be quite happy to maintain it myself, actually. I guess in that
>case the question becomes "how do I become a package maintainer?". Or
>does Debian generally prefer that package maintainers and up-stream
>authors are seperate entities? Probably a FAQ, I know, but again I'm
>guessing there is some sort of network of peers involved and I'll need
>a champion/mentor/friend if doing it myself is indeed an option.

First step is filing a bugreport against WNPP, no matter who ends up
packaging it.

Next step, if you want to maintain the package yourself, is to get
acquainted with the needed routines.

The approach of a non-DD maintaining is called "sponsored packages".
Personally I dislike the concept, so I won't help you with that.  Try at
mentors.debian.net.

The alternative approach where you are involved yourself while not a DD
is "team-maintainance".  I like that.  I'd be happy to team up with you
- if we can agree on a packaging style (but if you are new to packaging
you might be easy to "manipulate" ;-) ).

The untimate approach of becoming a DD starts with getting experience
with packaging, so really you should consider either sponsored or
team-maintained packaging first.

But first you should file a bugreport.  That is the initial step always,
for all packages and for all of us. :-)

  - Jonas