[Freedombox-discuss] Minimum viable freedombox product?

On 23 October 2010 21:19, Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what people thought might be a "minimum viable
> product" for this project. Any ideas on simple things that would be
> interesting/useful and deserve to be called "freedom box version
> 0.1alpha"?
>
> Something like "buy a sheevaplug; install software; voila, you have a
> working ???" But what's interesting for "???" that's better than what
> you already get on the proprietary cloud for $0 that'd justify
> spending money on hardware?

I would say you need:

1 Web Server that can get through firewall easily
2 DynDNS, with your personal URL
3 Complete Data freedom
3.1 Something like a personal data store, can be RDF, OData, GData,
Couch, Mungo, any global interchangeable format
3.2 Ability to update your data store
3.3 Ability to share your data via access control, and notifications

Some minimal front end or set of scripts to view your updates, and get
notifications etc.  It could look like GNU Social, or Facebook or
simply a command line text version to start with

What do you gain?

- Complete data freedom, share what you want, when you want, how you
want -- to date I dont think anyone offers this
- Privacy, no man in the middle storing your updates
- Control, ability to read the code, modify it, improve it, and share
with everyone else using the system