[Freedombox-discuss] service classification facets

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 12:54:34PM +0200, Arthur Lutz wrote:
>>
>> I think we can also distinguish a classification for each of these
>> services :
>>
>> * self-hosted
>> * self-hosted talking to proprietary equivalents
>> * self-hosted talking to other self-hosted
>
> Another classification facet is whether the hosting is for personal or
> shared use.

+1 And that could very well be a high-level choice for the user
installing his FreedomBox.

[snip]

> I just looked a bit closer at desktopcouch[1] and want that on my FreedomBox
> - as a personal replication service: to share web bookmarks etc. not with my
> friends but with myself!
>
> So it relates to bookmarks, calendaring etc., but in another facet than ical
> and scuttle.

For syncing between computer, there is also the mozilla-centric
project weave (renamed sync?) where you can install your own server.
Never tried it, don't know how heavy or useful it is.
https://mozillalabs.com/sync/ and
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Services/Sync/Server/ReleaseProcess

Arthur