[Freedombox-discuss] Leaving the (proprietary) cloud - my roadmap for FB

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 12:54:34PM +0200, Arthur Lutz wrote:
>When I think of the FreedomBox and leaving the cloud, the first thing I
>think about migrating is not my email. One of the reasons is that I'm
>quite dependent on it and don't really want an adjustment period right
>now for this tool. When I think about leaving the cloud, I want to
>migrate the least "critical" services first, so I can start trusting my
>FB (stability, security use etc.)

Good point.

First I wondered why you then anyway mention "imap + webmail" on your
list, but then realized that I actually agree with you - and the key
here, I think, is *mirroring*.

When I included imap but not smtp on my list, I forgot to mention that I
would then be using offlineimap to mirror emails from the communities
and organisations where I have an email account.  Just as I do today on
my laptop.

>This is why I've started a list of things I use (or are popular) on the
>cloud with opensource equivalents that could be self-hosted (hopefully
>on an FB). Here is my list so far, some of the services I have already
>migrated to a hosted server or a QNAP at home (which I haven't migrated
>to debian yet [1]) :

Great list!

Comments on some of them follows...

>* google reader (RSS) -> tiny rss

bug#440602 (if you mean Tiny Tiny RSS a.k.a. tt-rss): needs a little
help from a Debian Developer.

>* gmail -> imap + webmail

...and some syncronization mechanism, I guess.  offlineimap is most
reliable, I believe, but also most ressource hungry.

>* wordpress -> self-hosted wordpress

I would use Ikiwiki here, but wordpress might be more user friendly.

>* delicious -> ?

If using YaCy for search, then that includes some shareable bookmark
tools, it seems.

>* dropbox -> sparkleshare or ifolder

bug#273303 (for ifolder): needs a volunteer to maintain it

Please file an RFP bugreport against WNPP for sparkleshare if it is a
nice competitor (choice is good!)

>* twitter/identica -> self-hosted statusnet

bug#491723: Seems in good hands, just needing time

>* last.fm -> self-hosted libre.fm

Please file RFP bugreport against WNPP for it.

>* google calendar -> ?

Server part: davical or radicale are already in Debian.  Perhaps
egroupware too (but I am sceptical about it). Chandler (bug#449033)
looks promising too.

Volunteer task: Find good web-based ical clients, and if not yet in
Debian then file RFP bugs against WNPP for them.

>* film log -> filmaster

Please file RFP bugreport against WNPP for it.

>* google search -> yacy

Please file RFP bugreport against WNPP for it.

Also, beware that YaCy is Java-based, so heavy on the limited resources
of an embedded device.

Complex volunteer task: Write a C/C++/Erlang implementation of YaCy ;-)

>* skype -> ?

Currently in Debian: Asterisk, yate.

In the pipeline: FreeSwitch.

Wet dream: P2P SIP implementations listed at http://p2psip.org/

>* facebook -> diaspora

bug#597093: Needs a volunteer (and time for upstream code to mature!!!)

>* music streaming sites -> ampache or tin can jukebox

Ampache is in Debian.  My favorite, MPD, is also in Debian.

Please file RFP bugs against WNPP for tin can jukebox.

Volunteer task: find good web-based MPD clients and if not in debian
then file RFP bugreports for them.

>I think we can also distinguish a classification for each of these
>services :
>
>* self-hosted
>* self-hosted talking to proprietary equivalents
>* self-hosted talking to other self-hosted

+1

>Finally, I think the adoption of a FreedomBox would benefit from
>out-of-the-box equivalents to popular web2.0 websites such as those
>mentionned above (sorry I don't really want to advertise these). Maybe
>we can use the Map of Online Communities (2010) drawn by XKCD :
>http://xkcd.com/802/ as an inspiration for the targeted services we
>would facilitate.

+1

>Hope this helps, if people think it's relevant, maybe we can start
>documenting these equivalents (and the migration documentation?) on
>the wiki.

Please do!

Regards,

  - Jonas