[Freedombox-discuss] Dehierarchicalization (e.g. avoiding DNS) is imperative?

On 10/07/2010 04:00 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> FYI this subthread sprung from my sharing with you that my FreedomBox
> instance will support OpenID and FOAF - two mechanisms depending on DNS.

DNS was your example of necessary centralized service, and you mentioned
OpenID as a service that requires it. Other centralized technology is
avoidable, and I think we should strive for decentralization.
I still don't see what's more authoritative than the oldest of wiki FB
descriptions, since obviously we won't all agree on everything said here.

>> The whole point of the talks is freedom from third party cloud
>> services (and other communication tools), and building distributed
>> alternatives that provide security and privacy. Funny how you missed
>> that.
>
> Funny how we all see a reflection of our own visions in those talks.

I truly think decentralization (as a liberation tool) is undoubtedly one
of primary purposes of FreedomBox, and one of the most important goals.
(Even if we didn't take a vote.)

--Luka Mar?eti?