[Freedombox-discuss] Finding a good place to start

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 09:27:50AM -0400, Avery Ceo wrote:
>I think it's time to point out that hierarchical and non-hierarchical
>DNS are not mutually exclusive. If any link in your non-hierarchical
>DNS checks the hierarchical system, then you will get results from it.

Thanks for correcting me.

Do you perhaps have some nice easy to comprehend external reference on
the topic of non-hierarchical DNS.

>Also, I am curious about the claim that OpenID relies on DNS being
>hierarchical. I thought it just depended on DNS existing and being
>trusted?

Sounds right: OpenID requires (some!) DNS.

>All of that said, my vote is for a non-hierarchical DNS with an
>optional (non-repeated) bridge to the existing DNS system. I would also
>suggest enabling that bridge in the default configuration, as most
>users in the short term will require it.

Please elaborate (or refer to external documentation.  a non-repeated
bridge sounds pretty central to me, and thus a weak point.  How does
that work?

Kind regards,

  - Jonas